Major problems with computers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MRSCT, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I don't use McAfee, but from looking through the VS9 forum, I see that ScriptStopper can be disabled from the tray icon. Try disabling it and see what happens?

Nick

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

If you are sure that your machine is clean (i.e. a comprehensive systemwide scan comes up clean), try disabling the ScriptStopper within McAfee. From the McAfee documentation, paraphrasing:

To disable ActiveShield scan for malicious scripts and worm-like activity:
    1. Right-click the McAfee icon, point to VirusScan, then click Options.
    2. Click Advanced, then click the ScriptStopper tab.
    3. Uncheck Enable ScriptStopper
    4. Select OK

See if that helps with the problem. I'm not sure I'd view this as a permanent solution, but I'd try it to see if McAfee is really involved with the problem.

Blue

(edit.... beat me to it nick)

3. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

That's one of the first things I tried. As for being clean, o_O I use very simple antispyware. If it come up with something I delete it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  4. BlueZannetti

By that do you mean that when you completely disable the ScriptStopper facility, a message from Scriptstopper is still appearing and blocks the operation when you try to fast user switch?

Blue

5. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

When I go to the scriptstopper, I uncheck the box, press OK and then try to switch users. Am I suppose to do anything in between?

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Is the box still unchecked when you go back and look at it? Just want to make sure that the changes you are making to McAfee settings are sticking.

Nick

7. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Yes, when I go back it is unchecked.

8. BlueZannetti

Let me ask again. The Scriptstopper box is unchecked, so that facility should be disabled. You attempt to perform fast user switching. What exactly happens? Do any dialog boxes appear? If so, what do they say - precisely (include box titles if you cannot take and post a screen shot)? If no dialog boxes appears, what does happen?

Blue

9. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Hello,
    I just tried the fast switching. The Mcafee warning did not pop up :D
    I logged out of my name and logged into my husband's name. It sits and nothing happens. Usually something comes up under the users name, I can't remember what it is. But that part is not kicking in.

I appreciate everyone's help. There have been so many people helping me.
    Last night I used Ad -Aware and some how deleted the connection to the internet. I remembered Windsockfix, and back it came. It is one that I have in my favorites now. :D

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi MRSCT,

Great to see one of the problems eliminated. The next thing to do is to take a look at your Event Viewer: click Start and then Run, type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter. Take a look at your System log and look for any errors (those with a red X) that show up about the same time that you tried to switch users.

Nick

11. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I just did as you asked. The word Term Service came up. Does that help?

12. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Fast User Switching depends on another service named Terminal Services. What is the error message (double-click the entry to see the message)?

Nick

13. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Happy Holidays, :D
    Merry Christmas :D

Just got it, Terminal Server session creation failed. (could have guessed that) The relevant status was 0x12
    Type Error Event ID: 1036

MRSCT

14. BlueZannetti

MRSCT,

Sounds like some progress is being made. At least this implies that McAfee is probably not a direct cause by trapping the process, but that something with Windows my be a bit munged up.

Also - I'll be traveling fo the next few days and access for me will be intermittent and dial-up, so if you pose a question to me and aren't hearing a response, that's the cause - 'til Wednesday or so...

Have a happy holidays!

Blue

15. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Click Start and then Run, type in services.msc and press Enter. This will bring up the Services control panel. First scroll down to the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and make sure it is set to automatic start. Start it if it is not running. Then do the same for Terminal Services. Terminal Services depends on the RPC service. Close the main Services window and try to switch users.

Nick

16. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Did everything that you asked and held my breath. Still nothing, what next?
    You and Blue are pretty knowledgable people. Thanks for all your help.

17. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I ran across a Microsoft article (PRB: Fast User Switching May Be Unavailable on Systems That Use Shared Video Memory) which mentions that Fast User Switching requires at least 120MB of free RAM. When you look at the Performance tab in Task Manager, what does it normally show for "Available" under Physical Memory?

Nick

Attached Files:

18. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

It showed 87336 ( number varied) for available in the physical memory. o_O

19. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I suspected that. Quite a bit short of 120MB, which is surprising for having 512MB to start with. Another article (A Discussion About the Availability of the Fast User Switching Feature) says the following:

"The Fast User Switching feature may not work if there is not enough available computer resources to create a new Winlogon service thread. In this case, some users must log off the computer, or you must close some programs to free up computer resources."

When you click on the Users tab in Task Manager, are you the only user?

Nick

20. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Unless both computers have the same hardware and the same software running, then it's like comparing apples and oranges. My Pentium 4 2.0 GHz laptop has 512MB RAM and I have 300MB free after 8 hours of normal usage. That's with about 35 processes visible in Task Manager, including a firewall, anti-virus, anti-trojan, registry monitor, etc. It all depends on the programs (processes) that are running and the resources they grab to run.

If you want, do this: got to PsList and download PsList at the bottom of the page. Unzip the 2 files to your C:\Windows\system32 folder. Next click on Start, then Run, type in cmd, and press Enter. In the black window that comes up, type the following and press Enter:

pslist -m > c:\mrsct.txt

Now open My Computer, double-click C: drive, scroll down and find mrsct.txt. Double-click it to open it with Notepad. Copy and paste the contents into your post. This will show what processes are running and their memory usage. Hopefully, we can spot and eliminate some unnecessary ones.

Nick

21. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Nick,

I have no idea what your asking. I'm such a novice that common computer jargon terms cause me to look up each definition. We already have unzip on our computer, Unzip 2 files in your c: etc. ( If I knew how to do quotes I would not have to type this) Is there something 101 that I can understand o_O I really don't want to give up, I'm from the no computer era.:(
    MRSCT

22. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi MRSCT,

Sorry. Let's do it step by step:

1. PsList is a small "command-line" program that shows useful info about what is running on your computer. It's called command-line because it only works when you type its name in a command window and hit Enter. So go to Start, click Run, type cmd, then press Enter. The black window that should open up is what a command window looks like.

2. Before you can run PsList, you have to download it from the link I gave you. Open the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Right-click on "Download PsList (23KB)" and chose "Save Target As...". In the window that comes up, click Desktop and then click "Save". That should download the file to your Desktop.

When you get it downloaded to your Desktop, let me know, and we will go on from there.

Nick

23. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Hey, I think I got it!

I'm ready for the next step.
    MRSCT

24. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Good. What happens when you double-click the pslist.zip file you downloaded?

Nick

25. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I'm not sure o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.