MAJOR problem with Cloning. Very weird. Please read this.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DanielT, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielT

DanielT Guest

I have a 250GB source drive and a 250GB destination drive. I attempted to clone using the automatic option. When asked to reboot, I did. Analyzing Partitions, Locking Partitions, and Checking Partitions took only 24 seconds (shouldn't this have taken at least 2-3 hours?)! I then got the following message: "Congratulations! You have successfully completed the hard disk cloning procedure." Wow, I thought. That was fast. The problem is, nothing actually happened to the destination drive. The source drive was never cloned onto the destination drive. How could it have? It only took 24 seconds. What did I do wrong, and how can I fix it so that I may successfully clone my hard drive?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

How much of the Source 250 Gb drive is used? Did you see all the steps I mentioned in a previous post of yours? Like where TI shows all the existing drives and asks which is the Source drive, then in the next window it again shows all the drives and asks which is the Destination drive?

3. DanielT

DanielT Guest

Only 21.38% of the source drive is used. Yes, I followed all of the steps you mentioned. And yes, it clearly identified the source drive and the destination drive. Please help. Thanks.

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If you're going through the correct steps then I don't know why the clone is not being created.

5. DanielT

DanielT Guest

So many people have posted complaints about serious flaws in TI 9.0. Perhaps my cloning problem is amongst those serious flaws. Has anyone out there had my problem and, if you did, was it fixable?

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I can't help with your cloning problem DanielT but I just wanted to comment that it wouldn't surprise me if your problem WAS among the serious problems still extant in TI9.

It really seems like they missed or buggered up something MAJOR in going from TI8 to TI9 and, so far, all they've done is layer bandaid on top of bandaid for individual problems and they're still missing the big cigar.

Pffff.. oh well. At least I'm getting a little more reliability than before. But I'm only testing basic backup and verify up to this point.

Please pardon my vent.

7. DThomas

DThomas Guest

For cloning, I wonder if I should be using Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 instead of True Image 9.0. Comments anyone?

8. profitxchange

profitxchange Registered Member

whilst there has been a lot of criticism of TI9 I trialed it and it has worked just fine. My specific need was to clone from an iffy 80Gb to a new 80Gb and it worked perfectly using auto. I have virtually no IT knowledge (hencemany obvious questions afterwards) and I seem to have been able to make it do everything I need.

I know this does not solve the problem but it shoyld work. My build was 227something, though I hagve now purchased the latest version.

9. DThomas

DThomas Guest

FINALLY. Got the cloning to work. But NOT with True Image 9.0. I got it to work with Migrate Easy 7.0. SO, now I know that True Image has problems cloning. I too will seek a refund.

10. rrr

rrr Guest

I had the same thing happen. Used the system resue disk to then clone the drive and when I examed the drive there was actually files on it! It took 20min for a 250GB drive. However there is something tricky about the whole thing because I could not log on. Since it is a 3 step process, the last of which is the master boot record (MBR), I did it again, this time not disconnecting the cloned drive until after I rebooted 2 more times. Now I can log on and all the programs show up on the desktop but none of them work. If you know how to fix this let me know.

11. sarutaro

sarutaro Registered Member

I did cloning on 10/17/05 (Monday) from C-drive to D-drive. It was perfect and flawless. After cloning, the previous slave D-drive is now C-master drive. Vice versa. My computer runs super just like before cloning. I used True Image v.8 (build 791). I believe and proved that Acronis produced a fantistic program(s). On other occassions, True Image v.8 revived the almost-dead Windows by Image Restoration process. I am very grateful for having True Image program. Unfortunately, you got the problem because the new V. 9 version had some bugs. I trust Acronis techies will fix the problems in very near future. I am one of the VERY happy customers. Sarutaro

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rrr and DThomas,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please let me know what build of Acronis True Image 9.0 you used.

rrr, please do the following?

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to Acronis Support along with the link to this thread. This will allow us to investigate the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

13. rrr

rrr Guest

The 20 second congratulation cloning that didn't work happen to me exactly like you described Daniel T. I was cloning a 70GB hard drive to a 300 GB hard drive in order to increase my storage capacity. Have Windows XP and True Image 9. This occurred trying the cloning from True Image on the hard drive. Finally got it working - here is how.
    Downloaded build 2289 from the Acronis Web site.
    Created a Bootable Rescue Disk.
    Started the computer from the Bootable Rescue Disk.
    Hard Drives both were set on cable select rather than master and slave with 70GB drive1 and 300GB drive 2.
    Selected Complete True Image (rather than limited on the first screen that booted from the CD.
    Selected Automatic Partition and Delete Partition on 300GB (destination drive).
    Clicked Next and Proceed - screen said it would take 23 minutes.
    At end it said it was successful.
    THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART - why it didn't work for me the first time -
    Close the Acronis True Image by clicking on upper right hand X and then SHUT OFF the machine - don't let it boot into Windows!
    Disconnect 70GB Drive 1 and put its cable onto 300GB Drive 2.
    Boot Windows from hard drive (300GB) - says detected new hardware (300GB) and need to restart computer for changes to take effect. Restart Computer and everything worked. Been using it for days now. Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.