Major crackdown on VPNs in China

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by emmjay, Jan 23, 2017.

1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I hope this doesn't affect the Chinese YouTube channels I watch.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

There's some FUD going on about this. Here's a HN comment about http://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...move-clean-vpns-and-strengthen-great-firewall by a "Chinese native":

4. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I guess the proof is going to be in the pudding. That is, actual verifiable reports that blocking is taking place and that the blocking is permanent and not just intermittent. I have seen reports on this since 2015 and most indicate that blocking exists, e.g. The Financial Times reported on protocols used by Apple devices, including iPhones were blocked, but there were pockets where service was available. Hong Kong probably gets a pass most of the time, but the question is for how long. I expect if the mainland was really determined to keep the lid on it, it would happen.

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Remember that later in the year (Oct-Nov) will be the 19th party congress during which 5 out of 7 of the members of the Politburo Standing Committee as well as half of the Politburo itself will change. Of course the Powers that Be would prefer to limit any widespread public discussion concerning this. So I'm sure that we will see additional half-assed attempts to suppress any internal Social Media uprising.

Essentially nothing but an interpretation of Rule #24 from the Totalitarian Rulers handbook.

6. mirimir

Yes, that was schuke's hypothesis :)

7. cruelsister

Great Minds Think Alike...

8. mirimir

Well, your comment was far more substantive :) Me, I had no clue about the party congress.

9. cruelsister

I will expand further (not that you want me to). China (and Russia) have a particular issue in that they make military service mandatory; however if a person happens to have a talent in the computer area they are offered an out- instead of marching and/or cleaning the latrine they can be a Hero Of The People and keep society safe from Capitalist Oppression by the Corrupt Western Gangs and diverse other RunningDogs of Wall Street (God, I love rhetoric) by joining the Security Services and Hack for the People.

The issue here is this- at the end of the term of service, the best will be given an opportunity to join a gang, but those that don't make the cut will be let loose. And as we all know a Government trained unemployed hacker is a subversive who will find joy in tweaking those who cast him/her off. Essentially China plants the seeds of their own internal Cyber defeat.

(Personal note to Chen Wenqing- I used all of the appropriate phrases so I know you will get this- I'll be happy to do a seminar for you guys fro FREE (wink, wink). You'll find all of my contact info in the Security Clearance database you folks hacked from the Stare Department last year. Just have your minions do a search for "aka cruelsister". )

10. guest

guest Guest

China's government starts issuing fines for VPN use
    Country starts enforcing 20-year old law
    January 8, 2019

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3068962/chinas-government-starts-issuing-fines-for-vpn-use

11. mirimir

12. klarm

klarm Registered Member

world is on a very dark path...

13. guest

guest Guest

Google bans VPN ads in China
    March 20, 2019
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-bans-vpn-ads-in-china/

14. guest

guest Guest

Chinese man arrested after making $1.6 million from selling VPN services
    Chinese authorities continue their crackdown against unauthorized VPN services
    January 16, 2020

https://www.zdnet.com/article/chine...making-1-6-million-from-selling-vpn-services/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.