Major Avira Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveD

DaveD Guest

3 hours now and still no AntiVir...

I am starting to lose faith in Avira very quickly now. I've only been using it for about 2-3 days now, pretty bad first impression.

2. shek

shek Registered Member

I just received another daily vdf update. No problem here. You could start antivir's control center to see whether the guard is active.

3. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I just decided to reboot the computer prior to reading your post. However, before rebooting I did notice that avguard.exe and sched.exe were running but avgnt.exe was not running.

When I checked the reports, it said that the update was successful just 2 minutes after the update started. So it must have been successful, but the tray icon (as well as avgnt.exe) did not come back. So it sounds as though this does not have to do with the recent slow server issue.

Is this a common issue for AntiVir, when the tray icon does not come back after updates?

4. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Well, we see AV dates in this forum:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17449802

My antivir is not uptodate.

I am new to this, with avast, even if a free user, i would get updates, mine still 12.12 and a failed today prompt, it is 23:15 here 13th of dec. :(

5. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Mine is up to date when I downloaded manually the update files as you can see in my former post 11. in this thread.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

PS. Remember to shut down those avgnt.exe and avguard.exe before unzipping these files to the program folder and start up those exe:s again.

Attached Files:

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

All of this is pure crap. I have asked and gotten nothing. If there is a problem then someone from Avira just needs to say it because at least then people will understand. Avira, sit up and listen, tell these people, or should I say, your customers, what the hell is going on. You blew this one guys. It is called damage control. People only want communication, now, not after the frigging fact. We shall see.

7. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i am experiencing the same problem that "dave" is having, where, during the update process, "avgnt.exe" is closed but then not properly restarted..

i waited for a second update to see if the problem would re-occur, and it did..

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  8. FRug

FRug Registered Member

start the control center and check whether the service is running, check your firewall settings(try deleting antivir related entries forcing the fw to relearn) as well since the binaries have changed and some firewalls will no longer apply the old rules (different md5) and may not display a notification message. also check the antivir logfiles for posible error messages.

it works fine here (3pro licenses, 1 Internet Security, and 1 Classic)

trjam: the freeware servers are at full load for a couple of days, as expected with such a major update. For the pre-update announcement and some explanations see http://forum.avira.de/thread.php?threadid=15813

On a general side note, I am a bit surprised about the local appearances of fanboyism resulting in either unquestioning love and mindless promotion of a product or hate with constant bashing and the need for a personal handwritten letter of excuse signed by each and every person who has ever worked on or recommended it. Folks, please take a minute and think about it. A discussion about AVs is not a thing that should resemble a soap opera with a cheesy unrequited love story. I am not trying to offend anyone here, just asking for a bit of self-reflection.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  9. smustaca

smustaca AV Expert

Lodore, have you forgotten that *somebody* is actually listening here ? ;)

10. smustaca

smustaca AV Expert

Jarmo, this is a quarter update. It is so big because you get updates for many binaries.
    Usually, the signatures are below 20Kb (I don't have an official number).

11. redwolfe_98

i adjusted my firewall-rules (i an using the kerio 2.15 firewall) and then i no longer had a problem with the antivir updating process where "avgnt.exe" was not properly restarted..

i don't really see how my firewall-rules were causing a problem, but, apparently, they were..

12. redwolfe_98

i spoke too soon.. after another antivir-update, the problem is back..

13. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo Registered Member

same here :(
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=157947
    I'll give Avira a day or 2
    I've just registered to the official forum ( waiting for email) looking for the answer
    and I'll go for Active Virus Shield

edit
    I've just run Avira trough the Start->Programs , manualy update and the sys tray icon is back :)

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I was hoping you would listen to my sergestion.
    its very useful for home users so parents can password protect it so the kids cant turn the guard or the scans off.
    lodore

15. shek

shek Registered Member

the tray icon missing problem also happenes to me now. :doubt: :thumbd:

16. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Anyone know if they are working on vista support?

17. shek

shek Registered Member

yes, but it won't come out until ms release retail version.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I cannot understand why Avira, such an excellent application otherwise, cannot get the update, tray icon, and start up problems solved. They are not new, and the folks say that they are fixed, but even a cursory examination of the forums shows that "fixed they are not." o_O :'(

I have kept hoping that Avira would in fact fix the problems, but to no avail. For the next year or so I have settled on KAV6 and F-Secure, and will forget Avira at least until then.:(

Best,
    Jerry

19. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

The AV guard issue occurs on ALL Win platforms. I just put a quick launch shortcut to the control panel avgctrl.exe to live with the problem.

I would NOT be too hasty in losing confidence in AntiVir/Avira over the tray icon issue; this is very good stuff, and I know that their code team is already working on a good fix for this issue. Every AV app has its own strange personality, and this is just one side of AntiVir's quarks.

Dave

20. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I just wonder why you can't even access the website? After reading this thread, and being a former happy Antivir PE user, I just wanted to see what was also being said in the Antivir forum about any problems, and couldn't. I understand many people use Antivir, and this slows down the server, but what if I was checking their website thinking I may use it again if the problems aren't that bad? I think tthat by not even being able to get on the website it would tell me maybe I shouldn't.

21. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I haven't been able to access their website for the last 45 minutes or so. My tray icon seems to disappear nearly every other update since the major update, so this update obviously sparked some kind of problem.

I just want to know if I'm still protected during these times that the tray icon is gone while that one process is not running...

22. waters

waters Registered Member

Got up this morning after leaving computer on all night,No tray icon.

23. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, something went really wrong with Antivir Classic. We can´t extract conclusions until we know the official reply

24. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

It is on now..

25. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I have also problems updating AntiVir Personal Edition Classic.

I've been now trying to use the automatic update and the manual update, but both have been failing for days.

The updater has all the rights to connect to the Internet, I can see in the logs that it is contacting various servers, but receives no updates.

I've also tried without a firewall, but no help.

My license is valid until May 2007, so it shouldn't be a problem of license either.

Weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.