mail shields/guards and web-based mail service

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by coldplay, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

Almost every paid AV and some free AVs have mail shield/guard service.
    And many users of those AVs also using web-based mail service like Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc. These web-based mail service all have Enterprise level AV scan emails. So my question is: do we still need mail shields/guards on our AVs? Isn't enterprise level AV superior than personal level AV? well, to make things easy , lets say we dont use outlook and its likes, we only use Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail.

2. Arin

Arin Registered Member

You are quite safe that way. But its always good to consult two different experts. One from yahoo/gmail/hotmail and one from your computer. I wouldn't say enterprise level AVs are superior than personal ones as they mostly use the same engine/technology.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

a while ago there was a virus that yahoo scanning engine found (symantec)
    but couldnt remove it.
    at the time i had f-secure on my pc it found the threat and removed it.
    so its better to have mail scanning on your pc as well.
    lodore

4. coldplay

Are you talking about spams:cautious:

5. ethan_arends

ethan_arends Registered Member

The mail shields/guards from rezident av/suite is useless if u don't use outlook, thunderbird or any other mail client that is install on your comp.
    When u check your web-mail(yahoo, hotmail, gmail) with IE/Opera/Firefox is like u surf normaly on internet.
    U can read your web-mail with mail shields/guards off. And when u download an attachment is the rezident av that scan the file, not the mail shields/guards.
    And lodore, when the yahoo scanning engine(norton) has found a virus on an attachment, it won't let u download it.;)

6. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I have often believed that indeed Web based mail services are better. It would seem to me that your computer is protected by another layer of security. Iodore is however correct. I also have a service that is protected by yahoo's security (at&t ) There have been times when my wifes outlook express was in fact not protected by my isps mail security. NOD32 took care of the matter quickly. There have also been a few times when NOD 32 used its hueristics to stop unknown virii. Indeed a short time later I would get a virus update from ESET. I feel that Outlook Express is one of the biggest failings of security applications. The amount of junk passed around by people guarantees malware of fertile new avenues to propagate. In a related note we get so much spam (some infected with viruses) that I need a good spam filter. It is becoming clear that Zone Alarm's Mail Frontier spam filter is not working very well. Does anyone know of a similar filter for free that needs little or no user intervention that we can use for awhile until ESET's new security Suite comes out to a full release?

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if you have webmail and dont use email clients, then no a mail scanner is not necessary.
    afaik, an enterprise av uses teh same antivirus engine as consumer av.

8. coldplay

I would definitely delete mailguard module of Antivir PP if I am not so much hating the big red "mailguard is not installed" section.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

lies it did let me download it.
    it said norton tryed to disenfect it but failed so part of it is still there so be careful.
    i was using outlook express at the time.
    lodore

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

so you were using a email client?

if access yahoo mail using the site, then it wont let you download infected objects.

11. ethan_arends

ethan_arends Registered Member

You can live with "the big red":D and since avmailc.exe use 256k (on my comp) you can even install the mail shield.

Lodore u said "norton"...say no more ;)

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes at the time i was downloading via outlook express pop3 client.
    lodore

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes yahoo use norton for there servers
    and ye your right norton sucks:D
    i was using f-secure on my pc at the time thou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.