Mail.com - security issues

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by quietman, Apr 3, 2015.

1. quietman

quietman Registered Member

Mail.com - security issues

Have any other Wilders members used this mail service ?

I used to use it to create some " disposable " / junk email addresses because it is quick to create an account ,
    and requires little or no personal data.

After a while it started getting heavily spammed , mostly from French businesses ( I really don't know why ! )

One of these junk mails started with "Dear xxxx " , and " xxxx " is a name I only ever used on one
    social network site ....
    ..... and that was in the pre-Snowden era ..... and I've stopped using ALL social network sites ever since !

My concern is that the email address I had used to register on that site has no connection to Mail.com.

So how could the French spammer have got hold of the name " xxxx " to personalise their message ?

I use plenty of online security measures ( all well known on Wilders ) and I never use more than one
    site at any one time that requires a log-in ...... I'm a big believer in the value of compartmentalization .
    So this thing has me baffled.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to how this "leak" may have happened ?
    Anybody else out there with experiences of Mail.com ?

I'm eager to hear all opinions .... thanks !

2. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

If I am not mistaken mail.com is the same provider of GMX. If this is the case then my only comment is: worst ever.
    All glitches that could happen, actually...happened: sometimes I was not able to log-in. Also it was IMPOSSIBLE to change the password. I never succeeded in that. Then I gave up.
    I cannot help you with the spam problem, though.

3. quietman

quietman Registered Member

Since posting this I have done some searching , and you are correct dogbite..... Mail.com and GMX are one and the same .

But it's not the spam issue that's troubling me ..... it's this :-

There is a definite leak of personal information either to or from Mail.com , and I just can't work out how it occurred
    ..... and that is very irritating , because usually I can see how "entity x" got data from "entity y"

But thanks for the input anyway .... :)

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

There must be something that connects " xxxx " to your current mail.com address. Could it just be your public IP address? Or are you using the same computer? They could have tagged it somehow.