Mail clients not working on Win7 64

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I am having big problems with T-Bird at first, then others trying to download my mail from the server. I can send it, but can not receive it. Beta Shredder no getta. I can see where the program is seeing my mail and giving me the correct mail count, but in time only times out. Anyone else seeing this ? Any ideas . I have downloaded and reinstalled Shredder to no avail. Also tried T-Bird in compatibility mode o_O

2. Rainwalker

I just tried another anti virus program and it gave a message informing that it was "Down loading message one", yet more timeouts. I have not activated Win 7 yet. I can't see how that would matter, but thought i would mention it.
    Awhile back, i think during mail problem(not sure), Outpost hips asked me if i wanted to allow Raw Sockets. I permanently blocked. Never seen such a popup but remembering days past and Mr Steve's little program..........well it kinda came naturally. Did i screw something up and if so where is that rule to revert ? It is not showing in Global.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Go to Control Panel - Default Programs - "Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program" then scroll down to .mapimail (MAPIMAIL file) and associate Tbird with it.

Just guessing here as I don't use Tbird but I had to set that protocol with Windows Mail in order to get it to send properly?

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There is no Windows Mail any more in Win 7. It's gone.....

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

It's still there but winmail.exe is a read only hidden system file with a workaround is delete the whole "C:\Program Files\Windows Mail" from Win 7 and copy/paste one over from Vista.

Doing that and setting it up allowed me to receive emails but I couldn't send till I set that association in my previous post.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=255168

6. Rainwalker

Tried what you suggested Franklin. Made no difference. Previously i tuned off OP and that made no difference. Recently i decided to completely uninstall OP. Although OP was turned off it still had bits of it running. With OP uninstalled mail program worked fine, so reinstalled OP and changed a few defaults being sure to add "Report This" to each rule. Mail program is now behaving as before( not working) with no reporting popups o_O

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if you want windows mail download windows mail.
    its part of windows live and is called windows live mail.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, that's the easiest way. Live Mail is just the further evolution of Windows Mail. Works fine.

9. Rainwalker

I really would like to get to the bottom of this. I understand web mail and the like will work, but i prefer to have a mail client on my PC. I have tried a couple of other mail clients, but produced the same results o_O o_O

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Windows Live Mail is a mail client that resides on your PC. Have you tried that?

http://download.live.com/wlmail

You can install only the components you want, in your case just Mail.

11. Rainwalker

I gave it a try and as i expected, same old same old. Outgoing is fine, but no incoming.

I am ready to start over, but very unsure how to go. I still have the windows.old file. I still have not authenticated Windows. I would like to go back as far as i can and then reinstall Windows 7 64 using the UPGRADE disk. Is this possible o_O
    I think i have something very corrupted in the registry.

12. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Rainwalker, I'm having exactly the same problems on Windows 7 Ultimate x86. I read about a problem with Thunderbird having problems with my antivirus, so the suggestion was to disable email scanning, which in my opinion is pretty ridiculous - what's the point in an AV not scanning email, despite reading much about not needing to from programs like MSE. I disabled email scanning, but still the same problem - kept getting the error message that the 'folder was being processed', but I would only receive a couple of messages out of a whole batch.

However, I have now, after days of trying to work this out, installed Thunderbird without any AV or firewall and everything is fine. Strange thing is that I was getting the messages with MSE installed, too. There's an article on the Mozilla forums about solutions to the problem, but nothing worked for me. I can only deduce it was either my AV and/or firewall causing the problems. I never had this on Vista with the same set up. I'm still trying to work out the reason for the problem.

I'm not sure if this will help:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Issues_:_Folder_Being_Processed

I'm going to try messing about with AVs and firewalls to work out if it's a compatibility issue and report back if I find anything.

13. Rainwalker

Greetings Mrfargoreed.......The problem here is firewall. Uninstall FW and mail program(s) work. I have set FW rules to allow mail, but still nothing. I am wondering if this issue is happening more with Windows 7 then with other flavors o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.