Macrium Virtual to Physical

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by fouriron, Oct 23, 2019.

1. fouriron

fouriron Registered Member

I am running A Windows 10 Preview (MBR) under VMware 15. I Imaged the VMWare Installation to one of my shared drives.
    I created an MBR partition on one of my Hds and I would like to restore the image to that physical partition.
    I have done this in the past and it works, but some drivers are not right. I was wondering if I did the restore as a redeploy to new hardware if this might work.
    Has any tried this?

2. jphughan

jphughan Registered Member

I've never tried it, and you might need to have certain drivers appropriate to your new hardware available to supply to the ReDeploy wizard in the Rescue environment, but in theory it should work since that's the express purpose of ReDeploy. It won't try to load ALL drivers appropriate for the system in Rescue, just the boot-critical drivers, and then you can deal with the rest inside Windows. However, if you're restoring onto physical hardware that supports UEFI booting, you should consider performing a custom restore following this Macrium KB. UEFI booting is generally preferable to Legacy BIOS whenever possible.

3. fouriron

fouriron Registered Member

To answer my own question:
    I switched to HYPER-V and created a macrium image within the guest system. I restored that image to a physical drive un-allocated partition and it booted fine with no yellow exclamations in device driver.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.