Macrium Reflect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Stigg, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Totally

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Q1: why does just calling Macrium Reflect Free 7.1 change Macrium Service from Disabled to Running Automatic.
    Q2: why do Macrium processes continue even with End task.
    1883.png
    I have to Stop Macrium Service to quiet Macrium.
    ?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  3. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

The Macrium Reflect Utility Service and Macrium Disk Imaging and Backup service executables are MacriumService.exe and ReflectMonitor.exe respectively. In order to update those executable files, the services must first be stopped. The update process then resets the services to their default auto-start (start=0x00000002) settings after replacing the executable files. The Macrium Reflect UI Watcher (executable ReflectUI.exe) is somewhat different. It is started by an entry under the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key and is managed under the Task Manager's Start-up tab, but the procedure governing executable file updating is essentially the same.

__
    P.S.: Reflect needs those running processes in order to deal with things like task scheduling, order-of-precedence handling and user access to background tasks, especially for Microsoft's current Windows 10 implementations of its various APIs. Some of them might be regarded as a bit of a kludge, but that just the way it is. None of them is very resource intensive and, if you disable them, you'll be crippling some of Reflect's automated task handling and your own UI access thereto. You'd be better off dumping its optional kernel mode device class filter add-ons for "CBT" and/or "MIG" unless you really need them.

4. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Well, I don't remember running processes with v6. I don't schedule. And my v7 Free install, as I recall, did not offer CBT nor MIG. Maybe, they came along for the ride, just in case I bought a License. So, after I image. I'll Stop Macrium Service. Perhaps, v6 Free was better for me.
    1884.png

5. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

My apologies. I failed to note that you were running the Reflect Free edition which doesn't include those "CBT" and "MIG" installation options. Sorry about that.

In any case, that in no way alters what I said about Reflect v7.1 needing those running processes to handle important aspects of its backup tasks automation and user notifications and access for tasks running in the background. Of course, if you don't require any such handling, you can disable those services, but the update process will still re-establish their default auto-start settings whenever it installs a newer version of the executable files. So you'll need to re-disable them yourself each time.

Perhaps you should consider yourself fortunate that you don't have to deal with issues caused by the Macrium update process disregarding user "opt-outs" for those "CBT" and "MIG" services such as those reported by this user. ;)

6. jima

jima Registered Member

Could I break in a second and as what for you guys will be a simple question? I have been using Macrium Reflect Free and have been making full image backups only.

If I were to start using differential backups and I wanted to restore an image, do I just select the latest differential image and the software will find the last full and merge the two to make the restore or is something else required?

Would 5 differential images made from a single Full image be too many?

7. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

In brief ...
    Yes.
    No. :)

Others can elaborate ...

8. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

To the brief answers @paulderdash provided, I'll add only that each and every differential backup, regardless of how many of them you create, captures all changes since the most recent full backup in the set created by that backup task definition. So, although any one of them can be restored to recreate that selected "snapshot" of the system status, you may eventually reach a point of diminishing returns where starting over with a new full backup would be both sensible and almost as fast. That has to be an individual judgement call based on the rate and combined size of all changes, etc.

9. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Well, I did wait awhile thinking, let the dust settle. Just that v6 started annoying me with v7 Free update dialog.
    Guess, I presumed Macrium would stop support for v6, soon. I still have v6 installer 45k vs v7... 62k. IDK

10. jima

jima Registered Member

thank you Arvy and Paulderdash for your replies

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Jima

I use incrementals as opposed to differentials, because they are quicker and smaller. BUT you have to keep the whole chain. I've have test restored with 60 incrementals in a chain and there was no problem restoring. In actual practice I don't keep that many, but it showed what can be done.

Pete

12. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

I understand. Curiosity ultimately drove me to "upgrade" too, but I don't install either of those amazing new "CBT" and "MIG" add-ons although my paid edition includes them both. I don't run multiple incremental backups during a single Windows session and I have better anti-malware protection with much broader scope. As for those auto-start services, my system hardly notices their minimal resource demands and so, although I run most of my Reflect ops in the WinPE environment without VSS, I just ignore them as basically harmless parts of the Windows background.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Boy I wouldn't be with out the CBT. Been running on v6. I take hourly incrementals and love the speed, but when I have to look for a problem I can restore the hourly's once at a time, and the restore time is nil. Now as for the MIG, that is another story

14. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I just installed ver 7.1 over version 6. When I boot to the Rescue in WinPE, the Version number is still 6.3. I uninstalled Macrium 7 and reinstalled, changed boot to "None" and then added Win PE 10 to Windows Fall Creators update. NO Change.

When I did an install on another computer with Macrium 6 Free, the Macrium Win PE version is 7.1.

What is the procedure to install the correct PE Version 7.1?

15. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

No argument from me about the CBT performance contribution for those who, like yourself, actually do run multiple incrementals or differentials during a single Windows session. I suspect, however, that many users aren't fully aware of that usefulness limitation. As for MIG, neither development glitches to date nor ongoing user discoveries bode well for its future IMO. We'll see.

16. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

You need to do two things: (1) re-run the rescue media "wizard" to update your WinPE build to incorporate the WAIKfiles package from the current Reflect version, and (2) reselect the current build in the "Add boot menu option" dialog box if you want that in addition to the optical or UFD media copy.

17. silver0066

I did exactly that, now on 3 different PC's. When I boot from the PE boot menu, it states that I am using PE Version 6.3.1665. How do I get the program to show the right version number? I also tried uninstalling Macrium, reinstalling.....same result with the PE version.

I even downloaded the latest WAIK from Microsoft, installed and I still get the same old Macrium 6.3 Version # on the PE splash screen.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

18. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

The old version number shown is the version of the Reflect WAIKfiles package (not the MS WAIK package) that has been used to create the current WinPE build. The Reflect rescue media "wizard" needs to be run (details in this KB article) being sure that its rebuild option is used (screenshot here) in order to incorporate that new Reflect WAIKfiles version.

The "Add boot menu option" just adds an entry to your system's boot configuration data (BCD) menu that points to the WinPE boot.wim image that has been created by the rescue media "wizard" on your OS drive. Or, if you select "None", it removes that BCD menu entry. If the "wizard" has been used at any time to create an old WinPE boot.wim image other than the current one, you need to use the "Add boot menu option" dialog box first to remove any existing old BCD menu entry and then select the new one instead.

If all else fails, you can (1) select "None" in the "Add boot menu option" dialog to clear the BCD store, (2) delete everything under the C:\Boot\Macrium folder, and (3) start over as if you were running the Reflect rescue media "wizard" for the first time.

19. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

FWIW ~ WAIKFiles.png

20. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

That is interesting inasmuch as it shows v7.1.2695 and the current release is or should be v7.1.2722, but the only way I got my WAIKfiles package updated was by running the current full installer. The "Check for updates" patch process doesn't do it. (WAIKFiles20x64.exe is the server edition in case you wonder about that difference.)

waikfiles.png

21. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hmm, that pic #6019 was after my v7 install, as I recall, and is the same now.
    I did run full v7 installer (at the time) over v6.
    1904.png 1903.png
    I posted my FWIW #6019 to show silver0066. Sorry, as I confused all.
    My WinPE is 7.1.2695

22. silver0066

Thank you very much. That did the trick. I was not rebuilding my PE files after installing Macrium 7.1. I thought the installer did that.

23. silver0066

I suggest that you Rebuild your PE disk. See Arvy's post #6018.

24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

My WinPE is 7.1.2695. I did rebuild and test my PE after I ran full v7 installer (at the time) over v6.

25. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Yes, that shows that you downloaded and ran the full installer for Reflect v7.1.2695. However, you'd need to do the same with the full installer for Reflect v7.1.2722 if you want to rebuild your WinPE rescue media to the current version with the rescue media "wizard". As I said, running the "Check for updates" patch process won't update your WAIKFiles00x64.exe file to the current version for you as it should.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.