Macrium Reflect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Stigg, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Updated. Made a backup/restore without any problems.:p:)

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Update installed with no noticeable problems. It's nice that you can de-select options that you don't want to use during install :thumb:

upload_2017-9-28_17-48-17.png

3. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Sounds promising, but did you "customise" any part of your v7.1 installation (as shown here) or did you just run its default installation of all new features including MIG? Also of interest would be its updated rescue media "wizard" and its current use of the Windows Task Scheduler v2 API. Have you tested any of your existing task definitions and scheduled jobs that were carried forward?

4. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Agreed. Notable in particular is its apparent detection of ViBoot installation compatibility. That should avoid a few headaches.

5. taotoo

taotoo Registered Member

My Image Guardian settings are in German and it looks like the near-CDP feature didn't make it in.

6. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Ditto

7. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Considering the fact that the new MIG feature is the Reflect v7.1 release's "star of the show" so to speak, and also considering its delay for additional pre-release testing, it's difficult to understand how such an obvious discrepancy in its user interface could have been missed. But they've apparently acknowledged the issue and promised to fix it quickly.

8. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I was thinking the same thing and it makes me a bit nervous.

9. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

You're not the only one. For me, its a very unfortunate reminder of other past sloppiness such as their misplacement of certain patch update files. Not in itself of major consequence, but certainly not a great incentive to join the "early adopter" bandwagon. Think I'll wait a while longer for more reports from others braver than I.

10. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I did a test using the Free version 7.1.2602, which is the only one I use (occasionally). I built and saved the ISO, then built the boot UFD and created an image from it. No problem, still about 3 times slower than IFL.

What I don´t know is if viBoot can be installed independently of Reflect, as was the case in the past. I checked and the version available to download was a 6.x version. As I don´t keep Reflect installed (I only install it to create the ISO, under Shadow Mode, then reboot), and independent install is useful to me.

11. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

I've not seen a direct download link for any later version. However, if you include it in your Reflect v7.1 installation, it should be possible to save an executable copy on your UFD for later use. The relevant KB article does say that it can be started and run as a standalone application. I can't confirm that from any direct personal experience, but it might be worth a try with a Hyper-V capable environment.

__
    P.S.: Alternatively, you can extract the Reflect.cab file from v7.1.2602_reflect_<edition>_setup_x64.exe and then extract the VBootExe file from Reflect.cab

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  12. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

How's that 7 version working? 6 is just dandy.
    Never failed me.

13. Atari800xl

Atari800xl Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  14. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Sorry if I misunderstood what was wanted. I assumed that @Circuit had already downloaded the Reflect setup file for his edition and was just looking for a way to get and use the viBoot part of it. If what is wanted is to get the setup executables themselves without using the download agent, the following direct links can be used to download the latest version of any of the v7.x editions:

Home Edition x64 = https://updates.macrium.com/Reflect/v7/getmsi.asp?edition=0&type=0&arch=1&redirect=Y
    Home Edition x86 = https://updates.macrium.com/Reflect/v7/getmsi.asp?edition=0&type=0&arch=0&redirect=Y

Workstation Edition x64 = https://updates.macrium.com/Reflect/v7/getmsi.asp?edition=0&type=1&arch=1&redirect=Y
    Workstation Edition x86 = https://updates.macrium.com/Reflect/v7/getmsi.asp?edition=0&type=1&arch=0&redirect=Y

Server Edition x64 = https://updates.macrium.com/Reflect/v7/getmsi.asp?edition=0&type=2&arch=1&redirect=Y
    Server Edition x86 = https://updates.macrium.com/Reflect/v7/getmsi.asp?edition=0&type=2&arch=0&redirect=Y

Server+ Edition x64 = https://updates.macrium.com/Reflect/v7/getmsi.asp?edition=0&type=3&arch=1&redirect=Y
    Server+ Edition x86 = https://updates.macrium.com/Reflect/v7/getmsi.asp?edition=0&type=3&arch=0&redirect=Y

Free Edition x64 = https://updates.macrium.com/Reflect/v7/getmsi.asp?edition=0&type=4&arch=1&redirect=Y
    Free Edition x86 = https://updates.macrium.com/Reflect/v7/getmsi.asp?edition=0&type=4&arch=0&redirect=Y

The same links mutatis mutandis work for v6.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2017
  15. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

16. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

17. test

test Registered Member

yes :)

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I did x 3 machines without issue. :thumb:

19. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

The issue with the German UI in the MIG Settings window has been fixed in v7.1.2607.

20. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Arvy,

Thanks for the link(s)!
    But there is something I don't understand.
    I wanted the (latest) version of version 6 Home Edition (64-bit) (BTW: yes, I have valid paid-for licence).
    I used your link (changed 7 into 6).
    But I get a file without extension: reflect_home_setup_x64
    And that is what I don't understand; maybe my fault.
    Shouldn't the file name be reflect_home_setup_x64.msi or reflect_home_setup_x64.exe ?

21. SanyaIV

SanyaIV Registered Member

Just tried it and I get reflect_home_setup_x64.exe, perhaps try again and also make sure Windows is showing extensions for known file types (in case it has reverted for whatever reason)

22. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks SanyaIV. I tried it a few times, I still get it without the extension .exe
    Maybe my Win-7 got corrupted. I can see extensions of files that I had previously downloaded. I don't know at the moment what is going on....

23. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Just for testing, I went to a complete different site (AJSystems) and downloaded there the installer for Express Assist. Without any problem I got ea11setup.exe as I expected.

24. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

If viBoot is the "it" to which you refer, I can't answer from personal experience but can only repeat what the relevant KB article says about:
    Launching viBoot as a standalone application
    viBoot is installed by default during the standard Macrium Reflect installation and can be started using the installed shortcut.
    The latter. Any of the setup downloads should be .EXE executables. Please understand that those links for direct downloads without using the Reflect download agent are just intended as "how-to" information and not as best practice recommendations. The download agent used with your license key (if any) should normally get the proper edition (or the free one) for you. AFAIK, it amounts to exactly the same thing but with user interface selections and automation.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  25. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Reflect v7.1 BUGS! -- I see that we're now up to v7.1.2611 with two "bug fixes" since yesterday's initial v7.1 release to correct an interface language issue and two others relating to file naming overrides and VSS problems. Even so, it appears that we're not yet "out of the woods" with current reports that the new Reflect rescue media "wizard" is generating some serious problems with at least one missing DLL file (not a major surprise) and, in some cases, requiring complete re-re-downloads of the WinPE 10 base package.

Considering the extended pre-release testing delays, it's difficult to understand how so many significant issues were missed, but on the other hand, I can't say that it was totally unexpected based on my own prior observations of Macrium's apparent "marketeering" and management trends. Just glad that I didn't jump into an immediate "upgrade" for my good old dependable Reflect v6 installation. :cautious:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.