Macrium Reflect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Stigg, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

After using other imaging backup utilities over the years, I decided to try Macrium Reflect Professional.

I just have to say in this early period that I find it to be an absolutely fine application.

What do you guys think about it?

Edit: By the way...
    I've been a Paragon fan for many years and still am.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

yes both are great apps. I use both.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I know you've seen the poll numbers that show MR as the most popular imaging software on Wilders. Certainly you've read a nice cross section of comments there.

I feel better about MR than I ever felt about Acronis. MR is definitely faster, easier to use and it just feels more reliable.

Glad you pulled the trigger on the Pro version. I went with Standard and love it. You get a few more features with Pro.

4. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and PM support, guys.

I now have Macrium Reflect Professional running on 4 computers with automatic monthly full backups + automatic weekly differential backups set.

I also have Disk Space Management to keep a maximum of 2 full backups and purge anything more prior to making automatic backups.

Great forum. :)

5. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

Anyone know of any upcoming "Black Friday" deals for Macrium Reflect?

6. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

i'm trialing the free version. i saw i can define a restore job from within the program. after restart does the restore continue on it's own, or do i still need to create a recovery disc and start with that disc?

7. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

One thing I don't like about Macrium is it seems to have a hard time creating the right registry key for the Reflect.mrimg default icon in XP. Before I figured out how to fix it I had different icons every time on both our XP installs. What I did, and I'm not sure why this worked, was export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mrimg\Reflect.mrimg from Vista and merge it in XP, then ran Repair in Macrium; that fixed it. Other than that I like it more than Paragon overall. :)

8. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Macrium Reflect Recovery Boot Menu Option

Is adding the Recovery Boot Menu option considered safe?
    And can I safely remove it at any time?

9. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

You only need the Recovery Disk, if your computer fails to reboot or in case of hard disk failure.

Best regards,

Mohamed

10. aladdin

Re: Macrium Reflect Recovery Boot Menu Option

Hi Stigg,

This is the best thing you can do. A pleasant option provided by Macruim Reflect. Those who don't provide this option, for example like AX64, I use EasyBCD to add AX64 to the Recovery Boot Menu.

Best regards,

Mohamed

11. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

thank you.

12. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Hi Mohamed.

1. But is it safe?
    2. Do I see the option to boot to Macrium Reflect at bootup?
    3. Does Windows automatically boot if I don't select to boot to Macrium Reflect?

Regards,

Stigg

13. aladdin

Hi Stigg,

1. It is 100% safe.
    2. Yes, you will see the option to boot to Macrium Reflect at bootup. This is only provided for the paid version. For the free version, you can use EasyBCD to do the same thing.
    3. Yes, the Windows will automatically boot after certain seconds, I have set mine to boot after 3 seconds.

Since, you have the paid version of Macrium Reflect, therefore you don't need to set it with EasyBCD as it has the menu to do itself. However, for example, if you want to setup AX64 or similar program, then you can use EasyBCD to set it up.

Best regards,

Mohamed

14. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Thanks mate. :)

15. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Macrium Reflect - Restore

I have a restore question. I think I know the answer, but just want it confirmed.

If I restore a full image with incremental backups, do I select the last incremental backup to restore with?

Same question for full + differential backups. Do I select the differential backup to restore with or the full?

16. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

If it's selected Macrium WinPE ISO image - in EasyBCD - what is your advice?

♦ 'Run from Disk' Mode OR
    ♦ 'Load from Memory' Mode

o_O

Thanks in advance!

17. aladdin

Hi majoMo,

None of the above. I go for a different option. I first de-compress the ISO with either WinRAR or 7-Zip (Freeware) and put the directory (folder) in a different partition from OS. Then I use the third option called, "WinPE" and browse to "Sources" and pick "Boot.wim" and then give it a name.

In future if there is a new version of Macrium Reflect, I make a new ISO, de-compress the ISO, and replace the old directory (folder) with the new directory (folder). No need to use EasyBCD anymore.

See the screenshot.

Best regards,

Mohamed

Attached Files:

18. aladdin

Re: Macrium Reflect - Restore

Hi Stigg,

What I understand, the chain of incremental backup cannot be broken, a link in the chain cannot be deleted, whereas in differential backup a link in the chain can be deleted and doesn't matter.

If you have a chain from A to Z, then you can pick the full + anywhere in the chain, let us say, M.

Therefore, in incremental you need full + A to M. Whereas in differential you need full + M only.

Best regards,

Mohamed

19. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Hi Mohamed.

But do I always select the differential or the incremental and not the full?

20. samy

samy Registered Member

Hi Mohamed

I will elaborate Stigg question:

Let's assume we have two situations:
    1. A full backup named Fi and additional incremental A, B, C performed after this full backup.
    - Question: to restore the full image what has to be selected: Fi or C ?

2. we have a full backup named Fd and additional differential G, H, I, performed after this full backup.
    - Question: to restore the full image what has to be selected: Fd or I

thanks

21. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Thanks for explaining my question further, samy.

PS: I think you only have one differential backup at a time, but multiple incremental backups.

22. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Hi aladdin,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. It works very well (BTW, no issues if I selected Macrium ISO also) and I did like you: "de-compress the ISO" method.

P.S.: Unfortunately I can't to boot to Redo Backup at bootup well, since it does a error:
    "Unable to find a medium containing a file system"​

23. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I just cloned a hard drive to an SSD for someone today using Macrium Reflect Free.

It worked flawlessly, although it took 1 hour 27 minutes. :D

24. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Scheduled Backups

I have selected "If missed then run at next startup" in "Scheduled Backups", but if I go into Task Scheduler > Settings, "Run task as soon as possible after a schedules task is missed" is not selected.

How does that work if a computer is not on at the time of the scheduled backup?

25. aladdin

Re: Scheduled Backups

Dear Stigg,

I use Macrium Reflect as my secondary imaging software. I manually do a bi-monthly full backup, and not worry to do either incremental and/or differential backup with Macrium Reflect.

For my primary backup I use AX64. It has the technology to do full backup on inception, and then every hour it does automatic incremental backup. This is all automatic, and I can do manually too. It automatically consolidates (merges) the incremental backups.

I can go back and forth, go forward, go backwards, between just those incremental backups, not the full backup. For example, I want to test a software, I install it. If I don't like it or need it, I go back one incremental backup very quickly and the software is gone.

If I want to restore the full backup, until up to incremental backups from A to M, leaving out N to T (the last one), I can do this in Cold Restore.

Basically, it is two programs in one. An excellent program and very easy to use. Try it for free for 30 days, and you won't regret it.

Best regards,

Mohamed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.