Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by samy, May 19, 2022.

1. samy

samy Registered Member

I read so many "good things" regarding Macrium Reflect, I finally installed it on my laptop. I created a recovery usb and I discovered that when the laptop is starting (activated) I get two large windows: 1/ "Windows 10" and 2/ "Macrium Reflect System Recovery" (I guess I clicked on "some" buttons when making the recovery device). The Windows 10 is running after 10 seconds.
    1. is this System Recovery concurrently running (automatically backing up) all the time the laptop is running?
    2. What it does contain. The C drive?, all the drives?
    3. Do I need also an external backup?
    4. Is the partition No 5 (on the attached picture) this recovery file?

I am attaching a copy of the laptop disc management. I got lost from so many partitions. Do I need them all? What partitions the System Recovery is backing up?

Attached Files:

2. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

You not only created the Recovery USB, you also created the Windows boot menu recovery which allows you to restore a backup without the need of booting through the recovery USB. That way when you want to restore, Macrium Reflect will simply reboot and enter the recovery mode and perform the restoration.

to keep that recovery media but not have to select Windows every time which is very annoying simply do this:

Disable Macrium Reflect Boot Entry2.png

To answer your questions:

1- NO, it runs on demand it's not a continuos backup
    2- you select what it backs up, I can't tell you what partitions you chose to backup, only you know that
    3- You choose where you want to back up to, either to another partition (ie. D) or preferable a fast external USB SSD drive not the slow HDD ones as those would take ages
    4- No, that is the Windows system image, it's not your backup

Be sure to watch these 2 guides that I made:

How to use Macrium Reflect to Backup/Restore your computer = https://youtu.be/AjPbuc2akp0

How to create a Macrium Reflect Bootable Drive with backup image partition = https://youtu.be/WugrIShR6Jc

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2022
  3. taotoo

taotoo Registered Member

Rather than untick the checkbox, I set it to 2 seconds, which gives enough time to select the Recovery option if needed, without having to wait too long the rest of the time.

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Wow, taotoo...you must be quick...I have the delay at 4 seconds as I find 2 secs is not enough time...:(;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.