Macrium Reflect Free question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by MPSAN, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I can't under stand why the Linux CD has no option to make an image while WinPE CD has this option.

2. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

I have tried this many times in XP and after the 1.7 GB download it fails in building the PE disk. I believe I have the failure info posted in message #6 above.

Well, I tried to create a WinPE DVD but can not seem to do it on my 32 bit XP system. I had heard that it should work. I d/l the WAIK...a 1.7GB d/l. I then started Reflect Free and went through the screens. When I try to create the dvd it unmounts the win sys files, copys WAIK files, mounts the image and I get a mount failure or the system just reboots. Shouldn't I be able to do this?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  3. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Maybe because the Linux CD image is yet in Macrium Reflect program folder? :D

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi MPSAN,

Is it possible to make an ISO rather than burning directly to DVD?

From the ISO, then you can do the followings:

1. Burn it to a DVD.
    2. Set as a "bootmenu" like an operating system.

Best regards,

5. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

NO, I think I had tried that, but may try again. I believe the mount image error comes before it even creates the ISO on disk. Not sure what you mean by bootmenu, but my system does boot from DVD as well as HDD.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  6. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

OK, I tried again with the same results...and then I tried to disable NIS! It worked, however, it asks for Promise drivers when I boot the CD. Can I build the cd with the drivers in it? Can I use the advanced selection to add a driver to the cd?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  7. aladdin

By bootmenu, I mean it should come up as a operating system like Windows XP.

Download EasyBCD (I am not sure about XP operating system) and use it to install Macrium Reflect as bootmenu.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Best regards,

8. timcan

timcan Registered Member

9. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Thanks, I "may" try that, however, I created a driver floppy (remember them) and when the disk loads I can point it there and all is good, as it loads both the INTEL raid and the PROMISE RAID. I may leave well enough alone as I would use this ONLY if there was a real disaster. However, I may play. I did use the somewhat smaller WAIK, so I would have to d/l it again. I wonder if it will try to reinstall WAIK as I already have the smaller version installed?

10. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Well, since I installed WAIK from the "smaller" dist, it sees that I already have WAIK installed and does not offer to let me d/l the larger WAIK. Do I have to uninstall WAIK in order to do this? So, is there any way to make Reflect think that I need to d/l WAIK (full) again and do a custom with the drivers. Now, it looks like I need to uninstall WAIK and that seems like there must be another way.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  11. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Look what I found!!

The problem is caused by Norton Internet Security (version: 20.3.0.36) which causes the computer to crash during the mount of the wim (windows image file) using components from the Microsoft Window Automated Installation Kit (WAIK).

That IS my problem and as I said above I found this out before I found this when I did turn off NIS 2013.

Now it seems that I must uninstall WAIK if I want to d/l the larger WAIK, as Reflect does not offer to let me download again as it sees that WAIK is already installed...even if I want the larger version so I can include my RAID driver(s). So, it does look like I need to uninstall WAIK (I will use Revo) and then let Reflect get the larger 1.7GB file. I see no other way to tell Reflect to do this. I am surprised it does not ask if you want to d/l again!

12. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Just go to the MS Downloads site and Save the file. You can then point Reflect to the file to create the iso file. Keep the file to avoid having to download in the future.

13. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Thank you, but that will not work. I guess that when Reflect sees that you have WAIK already installed it does not let you specify a file, so if I did d/l direct from MS, Reflect will not offer to let you use that file.

I wish we knew where the script or file was that was the Rescue media Wizard. Perhaps we could see where it checks to see if WAIK is already installed and comment it out!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  14. aladdin

Dear MPSAN,

Forget Reflect, just download the WAIK from Microsoft site directly.

The WAIK is based on your operating system. For x86 the download is about 1.0GB and for x64 the download is 1.7GB. Then install the WIAK to your system without going into Reflect.

Once installed any program which uses WAIK, will automatically find it.

The above download is for Windows 7 v3.0. For Windows 7 SP1 v3.1, there is another download of 1.0GB, which is not need if your don't need SP1.

Here is the link to download WAIK, directly from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5753

Best regards,

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  15. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

OK, I will try this. So, you are saying that once I D/L and install the NEW WAIK, when I then go to REFLECT and tell it to build a disk it will then offer to let me add my drivers?

16. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi Dave, according to Macrium forum you should be able to add those drivers first and then build the rescue disc.
    They should then be included in your pe.
    I believe you can just use the rebuild option instead of downloading the waik again.
    Here is the thread,hope this helps.Be aware they only support the paid products and I'm not sure if this works on the free edition.:)
    http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4468&SearchTerms=add,drivers

17. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Well I do not know what had to be done but all is OK now! I DID remove WAIK, and had Reflect d/l the full version. I did add the proper directory(s) to the BOOT directory and then it did a rebuild. The Wizard NEVER did ask me to add drivers, but it must have found them when I added them before the build. Perhaps it will not auto add in the free version because it never ask me, but all is OK now.

18. aladdin

Yes, WAIK is needed for almost all programs, not just REFLECT. If you install Acronis True Image Home ATIH, you will need WAIK.

Best regards,

19. aladdin

20. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Strange thread.
    Im using macrium reflect free rescue disk and i have restored and created several images and i do not have the WAIK even installed.

22. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Are you using the Linux disk as it does not use WAIK. I needed to create the WinPE disk as I have RAID on my system and the Linux disk will not see it.

23. aladdin

He is using a very, very old WinPE ISO build my somebody ages ago, and the link for it was posted by Jim in post #2 on the first page of this thread.

Of course, it doesn't have your RAID drivers injected in it.

Best regards,

24. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Yes but it works flawlessly and i have restored several images successfully with this.
    I have windows 7 home premium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.