Macrium Reflect 5 released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by buckshee, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed about active@ boot disk

2. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

A@BD and A@DI would be perfect if :
    - diff/inc mode were a bit faster
    - it was possible to mount image files
    - jobs/scripts were included in the basic version
    - it was possible to merge/consolidate incrementals.

3. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

- diff/inc mode were a bit faster - TRUE, NEEDS TO BE MUCH FASTER
    - it was possible to mount image files - YOU CAN ALREADY DO THIS
    - jobs/scripts were included in the basic version - TRUE, BUT THAT'S A PRICE ISSUE
    - it was possible to merge/consolidate incrementals - TRUE

just a heads up for ADI users, features coming soon in next minor update are;
    -image verification after creating an image
    -shutdown option after creating an image

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Thanks ! 2 more comments :

1] Could you tell me how to do this or point to a user guide ? All I know it that I can explore an image (like with TBIview & IFW), but *not* mount it as a virtual drive.

2] AFAIR, it's almost double the price of the basic version just to get scripts

5. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

I thought this was a discussion about Macrium Reflect - seems like its lost track

6. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

sorry for derail

MERLEONE, i will reply in appropriate thread when i get home.

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I thought that I would give Macrium Reflect a trial in view of the comments here.

After using ATI 9 I quite like the interface but the program is slower in use and also is slower build and image which is larger. However on using the boot disk to restore the system image it trashed the partition table and has taken me an age to restore it. Don't reckon I will try this again.

8. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

Sorry to hear that! It's always worked well for me, but I admit I think v5 is a let down. Stick with what works. :)

9. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Yes I would do but since installing a new motherboard the Linux boot does not recognise the other drives and even the latest version does not unless you agree to purchase and get the new drivers, but I find the new interface totally frustrating.

I have just tried Active@Image and that appears reasonable in speed and the image sizes are comparable to ATI. Might be worth a punt since it is on offer at the moment.

10. zfactor

i just actually got 2 lic's to active@ after trying it. now i use both ifw and active@ (not at the same time) and have pretty much abandoned everything else for the moment. i find these to work awesome and love that they dont install junk EVERYWHERE like some others do..

11. claykin

claykin Registered Member

Thought I would share my experience with Macrium.

I may post more details in another thread, but the gist is that V5 *may* be a half decent app, but the company and their support is sub par (and that's being nice).

I started testing V5 about 2 weeks ago. Identified a couple questions and found a small bug. Conveyed that info to Macrium, they replicated the bug and even thanked me. :rolleyes: A few days later I found what I believed to be another bug. I opened a new support case but never heard back. Tried to contact them several times, including their sales email address, but all I would get is their auto responder saying they received my message and to wait for a reply. A reply never came and I patiently waited more than a week. Sent email to their sales address asking for help and all they did was open a new support case. Tried again, they opened a 3rd support case.

As a last ditch I tried to phone them. Found their UK company records and the phone # listed for them is a modem line. First thought it was fax, but tried to send one and couldn't connect. Google searched looking for another phone #, but all I could find was the same one or numbers that didn't work. I even checked their WHOIS and the phone # listed is also bad.

Its clear they don't want to talk with customers, nor do they want to answer concerns or want my business. I'm seriously disappointing in them. Thanks for wasting my 2 weeks, I'll look elsewhere for imaging software.

Next?

I chose to share this story because you may one day need them in a recovery pinch and they likely won't be there for you.

My 2 cents.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  12. zfactor

i think you would be happy with either of the 2 i mentioned above ifw is faster imo and has more options but they have to be user configured mostly like building your own pe disc. active@ not as many options AWESOME pe disc almost as fast for the die hard i say ifw for everyday person imo active@ is easier to use. i own pretty much every one on the market and these are my recc's unless you are rich then try shadow protect

13. claykin

Thanks for the advice. I am testing IFW now. Yes, very manual configuration as compared to Reflect, SP or BESR. I have heard nothing but good things about IFW from a reliability standpoint. Not a huge fan of all this manual stuff though... We shall see.

Oh, and David @ Terabyte has been fabulous about replying to my questions. He confirmed that IFW will work with current uEFI motherboards as long as my boot disk is MBR and not GPT. I suppose as long as its smaller than 2.2TB under normal circumstances it will be MBR??

Thanks for the advice on the other apps. I'll either look @ SP or I'll stick with BESR.

Macrium peeps, take a page from the Terabyte support manual. Answer simple questions asked of you. Its not just Terabyte, but anyone who really wants to sell their software will answer user questions.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  14. claykin

I feel its responsible for me to update this thread about the lack of support @ Macrium. Since my last post, Nick Sills from Macrium responded, apologized and has responded again to another request. Maybe it was just Chris @ Macrium who was blowing me off. I haven't seen any Macrium forum posts from Chris in a couple weeks so maybe he's gone...

I feel somewhat better about them now. They still have a couple bugs to fix in V5, but overall I do like Reflect. its a very good value, seems to work and restore fine, is lightweight and works with Windows scheduler so jobs can wake my PC (something Shadowprotect won't do natively).

15. google88

google88 Registered Member

i upgraded and so far so good

cloning was interesting and saves a bit of time (only works with vss not synapsys whatever its called)

new interface looks a bit more interesting

upgrade was smooth kept all my backups the same

now full and incremental and differential share the same backup definition, which is easier to understand. but it kept my old separate ones after the upgrade. so i have left them there. with the new system you choose a backup type after triggering the backup or choose a type when you create a schedule.

support on the forum has been a bit average/poop, but its cool, about standard for software.

(new planet of the apes movie is whack)

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

questions

may i ask ?

does Macrium Reflect 5 write/change the mbr like almost every image software (outside drive snapshot) ?

the service installed is used by the schedule or the software to develop the image?

and
    did someone try Macrium ReDeploy ? i guess sadly non included in the pro version

thanks

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

which

sorry for that
    i happened to me with acronis true image 2011 home or 2010 home

are you talking about Acronis or Macrium Reflect 4 or Macrium Reflect 5 boot disk ?

thanks

18. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Re: questions

Macrium v4 lets the user decide. I don't know about v5.

19. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Re: which

Hi

Replied to your PM

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Re: which

thanks!

21. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

Do we know of any discount codes available for an upgrade to the V5 Free?

I have tried my usual searches and nothing has turned up o_O

22. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i guess it did happen for alignment option in the restore dialog
    http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/Partition_Alignment.htm
    http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50079.aspx?Keywords=Partition Alignment

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  23. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

Well that may explain the problem but on reading through the second link you gave there is no mention of alignment. Since I was restoring the image to the same drive/partition I did not expect to have to change any settings, however I may have missed something or maybe just a one off glitch somewhere.

Thanks for taking the trouble.

24. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

When I boot the Macrium Rescue USB Stick that I created, Macrium fails to see my hard drives, it cannot even see my C: drive or anything. :thumbd:

How can they release such rubbish?

I am constantly amazed at the "business suicide" committed by many people.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  25. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

What's your setup? It seems you have issues with many good imagers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.