Macrium Reflect 5 released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by buckshee, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

You seems to have lots of knowledge but you seems to hide knowledge too!

According to your link:

Windows Vista was released on November 30, 2006. The WinPE v2.1 is based on this.

Windows 7 RTM was released on July 22, 2009. The WinPE v3.0 is based on this.

Windows 7 SP1 was recently released. And, yes WinPE v3.1 which is based on the SP1 was recently released.

I paid $100 for Macrium Reflect about six months ago. They gave me WinPE v2.1 based on Windows Vista which was released on November 30, 2006. They could have given me the recent WinPE v3.0 at that time which was based on Windows 7 RTM released on July 22, 2009.

Now, they want me to pay $60 more for WinPE v3.1 which should be a free upgrade for me. Add to the fact, that most companies gives minor upgrades for free and major upgrades for one year.

They are simply bleeding their customers. They are biting the hands that feed them.

2. aladdin

If you want another imaging program beside IFW, which does incremental backup, check this out. I paid $10 USD for it and I am legally allowed to use it on all my nine computers in my home.

Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro 3.0:

http://www.keriver.com/oneclick_pro.html

You also get WinPE v3.1 with it too!

Even with the free version you still get the WinPE v3.1 too!

Keriver 1-Click Restore Free 3.0:

http://www.keriver.com/oneclick_free.html

3. claykin

claykin Registered Member

"hide knowledge"? Not sure what you mean. I'm not hiding anything. I provided links to Wikipedia so you could form your own conclusion.

Note, one error on your part WinPE2.0 was based on Vista SP0 released in November 2006. WinPE2.1 was based on Vista SP1. WinPE2.1 was released with AIK1.1 in early February 2008. So, its not quite as old as you're making it out to be. Regardless, I do agree that Macrium should have supported updated versions of WinPE with Reflect V4. Seems they do with Reflect V5 since you can either auto download or manually select an ISO to include with the disc build. I assume (but do not know for sure) that newer WinPE discs could be supported with V5.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=9085

4. aladdin

I have already built a Macruim Reflect WinPE v3.1 with WAIK from the trial Macruim Reflect PRO v5.0

1. I don't have this on boot menu as WinPE v2.1 with Macruim Reflect v4.2, which is a pain. The whole reason for this is not to hunt for the rescue CD on boot.

2. Would the Cold Imaging done with the WinPE v3.1 with WAIK from the trial Macruim Reflect PRO v5.0 work after 30 days. Would I be able to restore this image after 30 days?

5. claykin

So, building boot media with V5 is easy. They did it right this time.

No idea if it will work after 30 days. I suppose you could either ask or wait and see. Check your boot media and I think you'll notice the Redeploy feature for dissimilar hardware restore is missing. Seems its built on V5 Standard features. Please check your media and see if its like the one I built.

BTW, slick ignoring my other comments...I'll let it slide.

6. claykin

I saw this program but who is Kervier? They have no address or phone number on their website. I did a WHOIS and was not surprised with what I found.

At the very least who can verify (with some support) that these folks are trustworthy? Again, I'm not the type to penny pinch over a critical backup app. The day I need it to work for restore, I expect it to work.

7. aladdin

Mr. KeRiver is a member on this forum. He gave us 50% discount discount on 1-Clk Restore. If you PM him, he will give you discount on your purchase of either Keriver 1-Clk Restore and/or Keriver Image.

He built for the Horizon Datasys the maker of Rollback Rx, the Drive Cloner Rx and some other products too. Do a search on this forum on both Keriver 1-Clk Restore and/or Keriver Image.

8. aladdin

Dear Sul (Sully on this forum) built WinPE v3.1 based on Macruim Reflect Free v4.2 rescue disk. He even has this during boot menu based on Grub4DOS. Sul is very sharp, highly experienced and always willing to teach others.

No, I didn't ignore your comments, I didn't want to further embarrass you, as you already agreed to the following:

You remind me like a bull in a china shop.

Kindest regards,

KOR!

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

kind of agree which is why i decide against upgrading this time myself

10. zfactor

anyone know Mr. KeRiver exact name here on wilder's i tried a search but it must be under a different name thanks

11. claykin

Did you forget to take your happy pills?

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

zfactor, Member 2010freesoho has been answering Keriver's questions. I presume this is who you are looking for.

13. zfactor

thank you!

14. aladdin

Dear ZFactor,

The owner of KeRiver.com is Mr. Zhao, which means River in English language. His products, both the Keriver 1-Clk Restore and the Keriver Image are rock solid like IFW. He is very kind, generous and a decent human being. He was introducted here by some of the very old, old members on this forum.

Both Keriver 1-Clk Restore and Keriver Image gives you an option to install it in MBR based on Grub4DOS, and it is available on boot like Macruim Reflect. A very plain menu which is based on clover leaf (his logo).

For home user, only one license allows you to use it on all your computers. It requires online activation, and you need to email him to let him know how many computers you need to activate. The activation footprint is based on hard disk, and if you change your hard disk, email him to reset your activation and/or if you add more computers in your home.

Kindest regards,

KOR!

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

This is another reason why I did not buy Macrium. It was stated that when you buy a license, you get updates/upgrades for that major version only (ie. 4.0 gets all upgrades in 4.X), but next major version requires new/upgrade license. It has been maybe 1.5 to 2 years now to release v5 from when I was looking into it. I did not want to buy v4 and then also buy v5, which was supposed to have some feature I wanted.

At that time it sounded like the next major version was just months away.

Sul.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have other apps that do similar things. Some charge an annual fee, Some give free upgrades for a year, then you have to pay for a major upgrade, so the only way out is to buy a lifetime license if its offered. i.e. Malwarebytes Pro.

17. zfactor

yeah but there are FAR better priced upgrades with many other programs imo.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

zfactor, you're welcome! Take care.

19. aladdin

Dear Sul,

It is like their marketing department shooting themselves in their own foot. Imagine, how many people withheld their purchases for v4.0 as the latest major upgrade is around the corner and it is not a free upgrade. So many people waited, while not buying the product. Some like you found other solutions to the products, while others moved on to better solutions. The company lost sales en masses. The around the corner major upgrade took almost two years to come out, with many many lost sales.

If they have defined their upgrade policy fairly, like say, minor upgrades for free and major upgrades for free within one year of purchase, I am sure people like you would have jumped on this opportunity and they had many, many sales.

One of the member on this forum is claiming that he got the major upgrade for v5 for free. I am not sure when he purchased his license, but it seems like an arbitrarily decision on part of the company, without any feedback to the customer base.

Six months ago, I bought Household 4 Plus with Additions license and paid $100 USD. In v5 it is called the PRO version. On their website, the upgarde is for $60 USD for me, however the advertisement that I get when I open the v4.2 that I have to pay $85 USD for upgrade.

My friend you made an excellent decision not to buy, and with your knowledge and experience you came up with a better solution with WinPE and Grub4DOS, better than v4.

Kindest regards,

KOR!

20. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Some of what the full version has I would not mind having, like incrementals. I am not so worried about the recovery environment since I don't mind doing my own PE thing. I haven't really shopped around for any imaging software since I got this working so nicely.

However, it looks like this fall/winter will be time for a new machine. That means time for a new install of the OS. That means rethinking what I have been doing and what I am going to do. That means starting over from scratch on my imaging schemes. That also means I might look into different current products and possibly purchase one.

Will it be Macrium? Don't know. All I do know is that I am very happy with my decision to hold off on purchasing that product.

It might depend on what the latest PE offers and what PE packages are available these days. I do enjoy having a great PE to boot into.

Sul.

21. aladdin

Dear Sul,

I have purcahased a many in the last six months. So far for me, the IFW has been the best, with WinPE v3.1

Best regards,

KOR!

22. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

where can i get that $10 deal?

23. aladdin

Dear Brihy1,

The regular price is $19.95 USD. Mr. River the member on this forum called, 2010freesoho had 50% off last year for WildersSecurity Members.

If you PM, I believe that he still gives 30% to 40% off.

Best regards,

KOR!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  24. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

thanks for the info kor,ill pm him

25. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

me too, and you probably already tried this but i will mention it just in case you have not.. Active@ Boot Disk! :thumb:

if anyone comes across a more stable and more quality filled boot disk straight out of the box then please let me know! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.