Macrium free users - restore to a smaller partition?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by aigle, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask if macrium free can restore an image to a smaller partition.

I know that this ability was not there in the initial versions of macrium. But I thought that after so many years this product must had already got this feature so I tried it again today and was rather surprised to see that still it was not able to restore it to a smaller partition.

Am I missing something here?

2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi aigle :)

As far as I am aware, the partition being restored must be the same size or larger, unless they offer this in the Pro version, but I checked Macrium, and unless I missed something, the feature you asked about is not yet available, but it was mentioned in their forum that they were possibly going to look into it, and if I recall correctly, that was mentioned back in August 2013 in a post i read.

I do not use Macrium as often as I once did, but I still like the older 4.2.3775 version. That was rock solid and never failed to backup or restore properly, and the Linux boot media always worked fine. I like version 5 when I have used it, but I had some strange issues once after a restore of a complete disk...after restore, Macrium had changed my extended partition type from 15/Fh to 5/Fh if i recall correctly and I never did figure out why. Boot it mare metal from Terabyte notified me when I ran it to check the structure, that the extended data should be 15/Fh, not 5/Fh.

Just my experience with version 5, but my older version of the free Macrium was flawless the few years I used it before buying the Terabyte suite in 2012.

Hope that helps, perhaps a regular macrium user will offer their insight, but what I could find was the partition had to be same size or larger.

Jim

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    Couldn't you shrink the original partition with PartedMagic or GParted? Then use MR & restore that image.

4. erim

erim Registered Member

In the paid version you can. I'd be surprised if they removed this in the free version.

But the last time I used this, it wasn't very clear that it's possible, because it's just slightly different from the regular restore.
    I don't remember the details, but I had to use drag and drop from the source to destination drive to make it work.

5. TheRollbackFrog

TheRollbackFrog Registered Member

No, it still cannot do that.

But with the use of a Windows 7 VHD (virtual hard disk) it can be done fairly easily...

Macrium + VHD = smaller partition

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

thanks for all the replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.