Machines vs. cashiers: Why shoppers are so divided over self-checkout

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Feb 17, 2019.

1. guest

guest Guest

Machines vs. cashiers: Why shoppers are so divided over self-checkout
    Your age and your interpretation of progress might influence where you stand
    February 17, 2019

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/self-checkout-cashiers-retail-jobs-technology-1.5020299

2. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

Support your local starving cashier and say 'No!' to self-checkout.
    (and besides, I want at least some service these days ... )

EDIT: And of course, there is always that thing that when you use self-checkout
    you can't pay with cash .... (hurrah! for greedy surveillance capitalism! :thumbd:)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

You can pay with cash in Australia. If I'm only grabbing one or two things I'll use self service, but you don't get a discount , so if I'm buying a heap of things I'll head to a checkout. Problem is you're lucky to find more than one or two at most open most days, at least in this town.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It's the same with me, if I buy only a couple of things it's no problem, but I still prefer a cashier with a lot of groceries. And I also don't see myself scanning every product via smartphone.

5. guest

guest Guest

Measure to limit self-checkout gets nod from Oregon Supreme Court
    January 22, 2020
    https://www.gazettetimes.com/news/l...cle_7d14d2b4-8f14-5f19-ad09-7f6552555cd4.html

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Self checkouts put cashiers out of work while making me do the work for the same prices. Meanwhile the major players keep opening more and bigger stores so it isn't like they need to save the money here. I'm sure payroll is already one of their smaller expenses.

I remember when someone used to pump gas for you. Now people set themselves on fire getting their own. What's going to be left when they put everyone out of work over this stuff?

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Frankly I prefer to talk with a real human and maybe even uplift their day or them me.

A machine can't do either and is in the way IMHO. If the world wants a robotic society then go practice it on another planet like Venus or Mars,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.