M1 MacBook Pro or M1 MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'all things Mac' started by Daveski17, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

You're welcome.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Congrats, it looks pretty good. But what do you mean with produce some heat? What I like about the MacBook Air, is that it's fanless, my 14 inch Lenovo IdeaPad 3 laptop is spinning around 90% of the time, it's crazy. And I have recently bought my friend a new HP 15,6 inch laptop (Intel iCore 5, Intel UHD Graphics, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD) and it seems to spin a bit less, but as soon as CPU usage goes to 20% you get to hear it, so heat control remains a tricky issue in laptops, so it seems.

3. Daveski17

Thanks. It doesn't produce any heat when using Safari, Firefox or Chrome. Vivaldi causing heat in MacBooks, particularly in pages with embedded videos, is a known bug though. Personally, I don't think Vivaldi (unlike Chrome) has been optimised for M1 ARM chips. I'm not the only Mac user to notice this and bugs about the problem have been reported to Vivaldi developers. As usual Vivaldi dev's ignore them as they are busy developing the next 57 new features for the next all singing, all dancing, release of Bugvaldi. Nothing's changed there since the days of Opera ASA. It's a pity as I had high hopes for Vivaldi. Firefox is more secure than Vivaldi according to Browser Audit, and Safari is even more secure than Firefox. Firefox runs really well on the Air.

Safari
    Safari.jpg

Firefox
    Firefox.jpg

Bugvaldi
    Vivaldi.jpg

4. Rasheed187

OK I see, didn't know it wasn't optimized yet. So if I understood correctly, it will cause CPU spikes causing the MacBook Air to heat up physically. Someday I still hope to own a fanless laptop though, strangely enough not many Windows laptops offer this feature. I believe some old model from ASUS was fanless and same goes for certain MS Surface models. BTW, I'm not sure what to think about the Browser Audit, I'm not sure if it means that a browser is more secure.

5. Daveski17

I don't know about Browser Audit's efficacy or accuracy. All I know is (on my computers) Safari and Firefox scored marginally better than Chrome and Vivaldi (which had the same scores). Safari scored the highest.

https://browseraudit.com/

I don't know what's going on with Vivaldi and ARM, but no other browser has these heating problems. Videos seem to produce the effect with Vivaldi.

6. Rasheed187

BTW, something that I miss on my 14 inch Lenovo laptop is the numeric keypad, I should have probably went with the 15 inch model. I'm a stocktrader so it's handy to have, now I will probably have to buy an external keypad, see first link. But strange that other laptopmakers including Apple haven't thought of the nifty feature from certain ASUS laptops, see second link. All 14 inch laptops should have this!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ww/acc...osoft-number-pad?activetab=overview:primaryr2
    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038283/

7. Daveski17

One thing that life has taught me is that you can't have it all.

8. Rasheed187

True, but a little bit of more innovation would be nice. I'm also a bit disappointed that many laptopmakers including Apple don't offer webcam shutters, like Lenovo does on the IdeaPad 3 and 5. But anyway, according to rumours Apple might release a laptop without a physical keyboard in the future. Turns out that Asus has even already released a concept laptop, it looks pretty cool:

https://www.asus.com/content/project-precog/

9. Daveski17

If Asus can make one that runs Ubuntu it might be OK. I'm a tad ambivalent about virtual keyboards, I like the tactile feedback of a conventional keyboard. Lenovo are Chinese and all of their laptops are Linux (especially Ubuntu) compatible. Kylin is probably the reason.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  10. Rasheed187

Yes, I'm also not sure what to think about this, it looks cool and it gives certain options like a numeric keypad, or you can use it as an extra screen. And you can even optimize it for gaming. But I think most people still prefer a physical keyboard. BTW, sometthing I noticed is that strangely enough, even on the MacBook 16 inch you won't get a numeric keypad.

11. Daveski17

Kinda reminds me of touch screens, I still don't like them, even though my Levono Chromebook has one.

Probably because most people don't need them.

12. Rasheed187

Same over here, I don't really see the need for touchscreens on laptops. And that's why I'm also not a fan of tablets. And I wonder if it's more about design that Apple decided not to offer any numeric pads on the Macbook Pro 16 inch. If you work with numbers a lot, it's very handy to have. I especially miss it when using the calculator app.

13. Daveski17

Apple have a larger keyboard with a numeric pad though. I could get one for my iMac, but it's not a priority for me.

14. Rasheed187

15. Daveski17

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.