M$ Already Has Plans for the Next O.S.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 19monty64, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Interesting. By the time the new Windows version is out, all the current programs should finally be Vista Compatible :p. I'm stickin' with XP as long as possible or until I have to get a new machine.

Meeting the quality bar probably will end up adding months if not years to the release date. We are talking about Microsoft. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong :cool: .

@ 19monty64, I'm just guessing, but I would say 3 years is a very, very minimal time frame. My guess is based on the fact that final releases of most software always needs extra time to iron out the bugs. I would assume something as complicated as an OS would prove more difficult to fix the bugs. I will however eat my words if MS has a new OS by July 2010 :blink: .

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Hey my favorite number! :D

Im just warming up to Vista but Ill keep my eyes on this.

4. 19monty64

I had heard about Vienna over a year ago, and was more surprised about the official announcement coming so soon!!! I heard it's release should coincide with the end of support for XP, which is around 2012.

5. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Are they talking about a yearly fee for using the operating system like an anti-virus program? Or something along the lines of a yearly support fee. I wonder if it might be used to lower the initial cost of the software.

6. 19monty64

Another possibility might be a stripped-down O.S. (with just it's core functions) with a subscription fee for all the add-ons. Imagine buying the Office-prods, the browsers, the security-apps, the messenger, the pdf-reader, etc. So you get the framework, and just install the parts you want...skip the nLite-ening. "Hold the browser... hold the office... special orders don't upset us... have it your way..."

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

According to the Mayan calendar, the world will end in 2012. :eek:

8. 19monty64

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.