Lsass or something Preventing security update

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ahummos, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahummos

ahummos Guest

I downloaded the MS04-011 and the worm removal tool from Microsoft.com. I launched my windows XP, and the removal tool worked successfully. But whenever I run the MS04-011 the first screen of the update application appears for a split second and then disappears. Then I noticed that all the small applications on my PC are corrupted in the same way, you run it, and it immediately closes by itself. How can I prevent the worm (or actually the code executed on my PC through the worm) from closing my applications so that I can install the update?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Instructions from Symantec here

Before you begin:
    If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, and have not yet done so, you must patch for the vulnerability described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011. If you do not, it is likely that your computer will continue to be reinfected.

What to do if the computer shuts down before you can patch or get the tool
    This threat can cause Windows to keep shutting down and restarting. This can prevent you from installing the Microsoft patch or downloading the tool described below.

* Notes: You may have to try this several times, as you only have about 20 seconds to do steps 3 to 6.
    * This will not work on Windows 2000.

To prevent the shut down, do the following:

1. Disconnect the computer from the network/Internet connection. (Disconnect the cable if necessary.)
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. As soon as Windows opens and you see the Windows desktop, click Start > Run.
    4. Type:

cmd

and press Enter.

5. Type:

shutdown -i

and press Enter.

6. In the Remote Shutdown Dialog that opens, do the following:
    1. Click Add, type your computer name into the Add Computers dialog box, and then click OK.
    2. In the "Display warning for" field, type 9999.
    3. Type the following text in the Comment box:

Delay Lsass.exe shutdown.

4. Click OK.

7. Reconnect the network/Internet connection.
    8. Connect to the Internet, and get the patch. Then continue with the steps described below.

When you have patched your computer and removed the threat, you can re-enable the 20 second default warning if you wish.

Removal using the W32.Sasser Removal Tool
    Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool to clean the infections of W32.Sasser.Worm. Use this tool first, as it is the easiest way to remove this threat.

Manual Removal
    The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

1. End the malicious process (Windows NT/2000/XP).
    2. Disable System Restore (Windows XP).
    3. Update the virus definitions.
    4. Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as W32.Sasser.Worm.
    5. Reverse the change made to the registry.

For details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. To end the malicious process
    On Windows NT/2000/XP computers, you must first end the malicious process. Follow these instructions:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once.
    2. Click Task Manager.
    3. Click the Processes tab.
    4. Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes.
    5. Scroll through the list and look for the following processes:
    * avserve.exe
    * any process with a name consisting of four or five digits, followed by _up.exe (for example, 74354_up.exe).
    6. If you find any such process, click it, and then click End Process.
    7. Exit the Task Manager.

2. To disable System Restore (Windows XP)
    If you are running Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or "How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.