Lots of Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by A1SteakSauce, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

1. How does Spyware Terminator stack up to Ad-Aware, Spybot, Ewido. I like the fact that it has real time protection for free and if you are going to suggest another AS please, let it be a freebie. :D

2. I am currently using AVG Free, would there be any other free AV that had better detection/removal rate or is that adequate for an average home user to just browse the Internet (using Firefox), and read email etc.?

3. Do I even need a trojan scanner or is AVG good enough to check for trojans too?

4. My current setup is as follows, anything I should dump or add?: Ad-aware, Windows Firewall, AVG Free, Spyware Terminator.

Thanks in advance for all of your responses. Hopefully I will eventually get smart enough about computers to help more here! :D

2. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

3. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Use Avast for an easy install and forget AV, it beats AVG. Antivir is a little more manual but best detecton.

When cleaning my mom's badly infected computer, Spyware Terminator did a great job, better then Ad-Aware.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i used basically all av's under the sun on my old infected pc and avast cleaned out the last 4 trojans. now kaspersky and others all report clean at last!! lol

5. A1SteakSauce

Good for you Lodore!:D I uninstalled AVG and installed Avira's AV. I have had it on my old computer twice before, but the expiration date confused me about it being freeware or shareware... What happens when it expires? No more AV? Would I have to pay for it? Thanks for all of your help. And I also installed Kerio Firewall and feel safer than ever. Aha...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  6. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

When it expires (well, before) it will extend and update the lisence by itself. I have no idea why it doesn't just say unlimited, but it really is unlimited.

7. A1SteakSauce

Thanks, also what would a good free anti-trojan? And if I decided to use LimeWire in a sandbox and downloaded a junk file accidentally would that sandbox actually help?

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

In answer to question #3-No. AVG isn't going to cut it.
    Free A/T's- Ewido,A-Squared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.