Lots of Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by A1SteakSauce, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

1. How does Spyware Terminator stack up to Ad-Aware, Spybot, Ewido. I like the fact that it has real time protection for free and if you are going to suggest another AS please, let it be a freebie. :D

2. I am currently using AVG Free, would there be any other free AV that had better detection/removal rate or is that adequate for an average home user to just browse the Internet (using Firefox), and read email etc.?

3. Do I even need a trojan scanner or is AVG good enough to check for trojans too?

4. My current setup is as follows, anything I should dump or add?: Ad-aware, Windows Firewall, AVG Free, Spyware Terminator.

Thanks in advance for all of your responses. Hopefully I will eventually get smart enough about computers to help more here! :D

2. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

3. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Use Avast for an easy install and forget AV, it beats AVG. Antivir is a little more manual but best detecton.

When cleaning my mom's badly infected computer, Spyware Terminator did a great job, better then Ad-Aware.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i used basically all av's under the sun on my old infected pc and avast cleaned out the last 4 trojans. now kaspersky and others all report clean at last!! lol

5. A1SteakSauce

Good for you Lodore!:D I uninstalled AVG and installed Avira's AV. I have had it on my old computer twice before, but the expiration date confused me about it being freeware or shareware... What happens when it expires? No more AV? Would I have to pay for it? Thanks for all of your help. And I also installed Kerio Firewall and feel safer than ever. Aha...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  6. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

When it expires (well, before) it will extend and update the lisence by itself. I have no idea why it doesn't just say unlimited, but it really is unlimited.

7. A1SteakSauce

Thanks, also what would a good free anti-trojan? And if I decided to use LimeWire in a sandbox and downloaded a junk file accidentally would that sandbox actually help?

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

In answer to question #3-No. AVG isn't going to cut it.
    Free A/T's- Ewido,A-Squared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.