"Lost" encrypted partition

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mlarsen, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlarsen

mlarsen Registered Member

Hi.

I am writing because i have had a problem with the software FreeOTFE (prob self caused :( )

I have a standard encrypted external harddrive which have been working without problems for several years.

Something have happened now, because I have problems connecting to my harddrive using the FreeOTFE software.

- I connect my external harddrive and wait until it has been recognised by windows (7 or xp)
    - Open FreeOTFE software and press "mount partition" - choose the external disk and mark "Entire disk"
    - I then type in my password (which i havent changed for the last 4 months)
    - FreeOTFE comes with an error saying something about that my partition is not an encrypted volume or my pass is wrong

If we assume that my password is correct, and i choose the right harddrive, is there any way to check if my external harddrive still have "door which I can open" with my password ? I dont know how this encryption of a partition works, but is it possible to repair the "door/handle" so FreeOTFE can get acces to partition again ?

I have allready accepted that I have lost the data on the drive, I just want to make sure that there is no possibility that i can get it back.

Kind regards

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you check the drive for errors (run chkdsk)?

3. mlarsen

mlarsen Registered Member

I did not try that yet, but I will when i get the chance in the coming weekend. If it comes up with errors or bad sectors, should i then try to repair them or will that just ruin it more ?

It does look like I might have ruined the "door handle" (CDB) to the encrypted disk. What I do not get is how I managed that... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.