Loss of wireless connection at high transfer rates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pcuser, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcuser

pcuser Registered Member

Hi all,

I have a problem with my wireless connection at home. First of all I have an Acer Travelmate 663 (almost 5 yrs old) with WindowsXP SP3, its wireless adapter is Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B (11Mbps) and the driver updated. The wireless router is some Italian one called Michelangelo. The ADSL connection is 7Mbps (that is around 850kBps) download. When I download something at high speeds my wireless "drops" (then of course it reconnects in a few seconds). Of course this is rather annoying. For example today I could not update my Comodo firewall. In general any download of a big file without a download manager will fail, p2p activity is continuously interrupted, etc.

To be more precise assume that I download a big file like Service pack 3, say with free download manager. At the moment that I reach high speeds, say above 300kBs, my wifi connection will not last for more than 5-10 seconds. It will disconnect, then reconnect in a few seconds, disconnect after the download reaches high transfer rates and so on.

1. There is nothing wrong with the ADSL connection. It is never "lost".
    2. If I connect with an ethernet cable there is no problem.
    3. If I connect with wireless but with a Macintosh again there is no problem.
    4. I also tried to play with various settings in the router (allow broadcasting, remove encryption, ...) with no success.
    5. I turned off my firewall with no success.

So, I would conclude that there is nothing with the router and the problem is either my network adapter or the settins of the operating system. However here comes the extreme confusion, since with the same laptop I can connect at work and reach high transfer rates (not like 850kBps, but say 400-450kbps, where at home I would have already lost the connection).

I have no any other idea what to change or try. I have searched the net about these wireless drops, but mostly people discuss drops which occur at intervals of the order of 10-20 minutes (and not seconds like in my case) and which are not related to high transfer rates (I do have those too, but this is irrelevant to the current issue).

Any help would be appreciated. The solution would be more appreciated :)

Thanks.

2. Doy22

Doy22 Registered Member

I'm running Win XP Pro and have a Hi-speed, always on, internet connection with Ethernetcable modem. I also have dial up fax/modem(56K)installed to dial up to my company's email. Whenever, I connect with my fax/modem(56K)I would loose my Hi-speed connection. Any idea why and how can I stop this?Thanks,WesCheck out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.