Looks like Kaspersky 2010 has gone gold

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Still having major slowdown/sticking issues with Firefox, even when I tried that beta hotfix.

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you for trying to help me.

I don't think I can set all trusted programs to ask for internet access, considering what is in that list, my computer would either freeze up or I'd be bombarded with questions.
    Considering your second suggestion, manually disabling trusted applications, I'm not sure what to do. I have to set something for network service and there many options. Would 'any network activity' be the correct option ? (There are others like outgoing TCP stream, DNS over TCP etc.)
    And would it make a difference whether I'm behind a router or directly connected to the internet ? (Currently I'm not using my router due to problems).

I also looked at the option mentioned in post #61. I could set an application from trusted to ?? what's the best for controlling outbound access (asking for permission or blocking it) ?

About the above two approaches: which one is best ? I'm used to commercial firewalls that control outbound access in a much more simple way.

I'd appreciate any help with this.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  3. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Anyone know when KIS 2010 is going to be officially released here in the U.S.? I just went to their site, and it still shows the 2009 version.

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Right now it shows KIS 2010 on the .com site.

5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

6. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

I think you will be fine with allow all trusted, if you really want some program to stop phoning home consider deny connecting to public networks (internet zone, see sec. screeny), if application is trusted/HIPS didn't find anything suspicious/nothing compromised, it will not try to establish any unsolicited/malware driven connection, you can control almost every application from itself, aka. disable automatic update etc., it is much better control than blocking network requests from firewall over and over, just my opinion...;)

also should be noted, executables which are not recognized by Kaspersky automated application analyzer will be not placed in trusted group, for any other group (except untrusted) you will be prompted (and not just by FW), if application is malware or malware like recognized by K analyzer, it will not even start, so I recommending relaxation, if you need to be asked for something by Kaspersky, you will be asked :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Could anyone tell me if the prior KIS issues with Vista have been addressed with this latest version? I think prior KAV did not have DDA in Vista- if so, does 2010 do DDA?

thanks

PS- sorry, did not read the whole thread in case the question was asked/answered earlier

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you for your help. I think I got it now.

Although I doubt whether it's wise to give full internet access to explorer.exe and the application layer gateway service.
    I've been told that explorer.exe is sometimes used by malware, and I think that the application layer gateway service could compromise my privacy. (I don't trust my ISP!). One could question some of the other stuff in that list.

As I have stated, I'm currently not behind a router. Kaspersky detected a worm (perhaps some other stuff too), the Helkern worm. I 've noted a few of such messages. I've never seen that with other security software. Do they block it without notifying me ? Or does this Kaspersky software (configuration) have some vulnerabilities ? For as far as I understand, if there are no windows services listening, a worm or other malware would not even be able to get on my computer, in theory anyway. I know there is a 'netstat' command to check for that, but I'm not sure about the correct Netstat command. Can anyone enlighten me ?

9. Einsturzende

If you think about direct disk access protection, you are wrong in assumption that 2009 didn't have it, both 2009 and 2010 have DDA protection. here are screens for some KIS 2010 protection scope for Vista:
    4.70.png 4.7.png

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  10. Einsturzende

you can always put ask rules on every application including explorer.exe etc.
    Kaspersky have special rules for network attacks which may be generated by worms etc. in your case "halkern port" (1434) and it is part of Kaspersky network attack blocker component...if you do not like to be informed with popup you can disable it (see pic.)
    I think command which you are looking for is netstat -a, for complete list of commands and their descriptions for netstat you can always type netstat ? in CMD

4.7.png

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

try KIS/KAV 9.0.0.463 (CF1) build, works much better, at least on my comp

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Netstat -a says that some things are listening.
    Protocol TCP
    I'll replace the user name by an X
    x:emap
    x:microsoft-ds
    x:1110
    x:19780
    x:netbios-ssn
    x:1027
    (In case the numbers are ports, the utility at www.grc.com states that the first two are stealth, the last one closed)
    According to netstat -a, those things are listening.
    I've found one reference for an emap service, and it was described as malware or malicious, but I cannot find it on my computer under 'services'. As for the numbers, I have no idea what they mean.
    I installed Kaspersky on a known clean OS/computer. (clean image)
    About the Helkern worm: in the log I can find two intrusions/detections (?), both on port 1434, both UDP. According to the port on www.grc.com, it is closed. (Again, I use only KIS' firewall, I don't have a functional router at the moment) If the port is closed, how can Kaspersky detect the worm ?
    A little reference: https://www.grc.com/port_1434.htm

Can I get some advice, or an explanation, please ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2009
  13. Einsturzende

yes, those numbers are ports...
    135/TCP,UDP Microsoft EPMAP (End Point Mapper), also known as DCE/RPC Locator service, used to remotely manage services including DHCP server, DNS server and WINS
    source wikipedia
    ports 1110, 19780 is where Kaspersky listen
    kaspersky in fact establish itself like local proxy, all traffic are scanned monitored by kaspersky, from loopback interface, you can see it in action by ticking at "show connections established by Kaspersky internet security" at the top of network monitor then you can start your internet browser and watch connections of KIS...
    port should be closed, you should be worried only if ports are opened...

14. acr1965

Thanks for the info. Does the DDA for Vista apply to KAV as well?

15. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you, I got it now. :)

16. Einsturzende

No, only KIS have that protection

17. acr1965

Do any other av's provide DDA in Vista? (not talking suites)

18. Einsturzende

I doubt, since this is behavior blocking/HIPS job, but maybe there is in some, really don't know, sorry

Edit: you can install CIS only AV component, it goes with HIPS which have DDA protection, you can chose not to install FW component...

19. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

For some it does and for some it doesn't. Please keep in mind this is still beta

20. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

sure, hence the phrase on my comp. A bit rushed .459 general release though.

21. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Used last beta untill after an update i had no more network connection, the operating system got also messed-up.Luckely i had a back-up.
    I was surprized pleasently at the begining ,first 5 days, KAV 2010 beeing the first that didint messed up my connectivity (last know KAV to work on my PC beeing KAV 6) ,but it recovered :argh: .

22. waters

waters Registered Member

Virgin broadband now gives free Kaspersky

23. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Barclays Bank online customers in the UK can also download a KL product free of charge.

24. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

25. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.