Look'n'Stop Look'n'Stop 2.05p2 is not being detected by WinXP Security Center

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by LNS User, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LNS User

LNS User Guest

Look'n'Stop 2.05p2 is not being detected by my WinXP Security Center.
    Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, with no success.
    Any ideas anyone?

It is working, but not detected, which is more annoying then a show stopper.

Cheers!

2. LNS User

LNS User Guest

Can anyone help me?

Still no help from anybody :(

When I uninstall and reinstall I notice that I get three WinXP driver not signed warnings, that disapear quickly, then LNS asks me to reboot to complete instalation. Not sure if that is normal, or part of my issue. Again, it appears to be working perfectly, Windows just doesn't have a clue that it is.

Thanks!

3. Pigitus

Pigitus Registered Member

LNS User,

First remember to turn off Windows' own firewall. Go to network properties, 3rd tab on the right. Then Windows should recognize LnS. Windows XP Pro can recognize LnS. I've seen it do so.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, obviously, it should show assuming no other conflicts. The screenshot is from an XP Pro SP2 system.

Blue

Attached Files:

• lns.png
      lns.png
      File size:
      70.9 KB
      Views:
  5. LNS User

LNS User Guest

Not what is happening to me.

I have windows firewall turned off.

After LNS is installed I still get the warnings from WinXP Pro saying no firewall is installed, and it recommends I either turn on WinXP's own firewall, or select that I have a firewall installed that I'll monitor myself.

This is with LNS installed and running.

Windows Security Center just isn't seeing it as being installed at all.

Screen Capture At:
    http://onearch.com/temp/screencap.jpg

If I turn Windows Firewall on and off Windows Securoty Center recognizes it just fine, but it doesn't recognize LNS at all. I know it sounds silly, but I'd *FEEL* a lot more secure if LNS would be recognized by windows, ESPECIALLY since it is supposed to be. Makes me wonder if other parts aren't working or installed properly.

How do I troubleshoot this problem, and what could be the cause of it?
    Since uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't work, what will?

Thanks for the help!

PS> Other then this LNS seems like the best personal firewall I have ever tried out. I'm not complaining, or degrading the product at all, because so far I absolutly love it! I wanted to make this clear. I am just trying to resolve this issue. :) THANKS!

6. Pigitus

Pigitus Registered Member

LNS User,

My experience with Windows is that it's a bunch of moving parts that fit and clash in ways that no one fully understands, including the Microsoft people. If it's freshly installed on a virgin disk, then maybe a Microsoft team may understand it. But once software start to install and uninstall, some files are modified, registry entries are modified or don't get uninstalled. So pretty soon you have a brew that may be quite unique to your machine. I have a machine which cannot quite get SP2, so it's midway between SP1 and SP2. A Microsoft tech support guy politely tried to tell me that I should not be so eager to update to SP2 because there were problems with such updates.

All this means that I am not surprised at the bizarre outcome that you described, especially since this Security Center is relatively new. There is a tray at the lower right corner of your monitor which Microsoft has never fully mastered. Icons that appear in the tray now may disappear mysteriously or not reappear at the next boot. And that tray has been around for maybe 20 years. Third-party utilities have been created just to deal with that bug. So if the Security Center acts up, I am not surprised. It' still recent after all.

If I were you, the most important thing I would concern myself with is whether LnS is actually working well. For inward tests, you could test it on www.grc.com, pcflank.com or hackerwatch.org. If you are adventurous, you could check the leak testers at www.firewallleaktester.com. I hope you use the advanced features and you can also see if it catches applications that try to get to the Internet, or if the restrictions that you put on internet access work (at the application or Internet filtering levels). If you take the time to learn how LnS works, I don't have to tell you that you can test several features or rules on your own so that you acquire the confidence to stop worrying about that Security Center.

That's all I can say.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have the same issue on one machine, and have been fiddling with it trying to make it recognise LnS, to no avail so far...

Cheers :D

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Anything in the way of common threads that could emerge in these two cases? Some conflicting application? Any WinXP tweakin/customization at work here?

Blue

9. Blackspear

No, both machines are set up exactly the same with all software, in fact including hardware (except for Hard Drives).

Attached Files:

10. LNS User

LNS User Guest

This got me thinking.

I have a twin clone of the machine with problems, literally, same hardware and disk imaged with Acronis TrueImage Disk clone. Just tried installing on that machine. It worked and was recognized. I am truly stumped.

Maybe something happeded during the first install on the one machine that isn't being affected by uninstall and reinstall?

Does anybody know the specifics of how WinXP detects if a firewall is installed or not? There can't be more then a few specific things to check.

Thanks to all who've ventured to help!
    Keep the ideas comming!

11. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

I remember that first LnS was not detected by the "Security Center". Then Frederic released some patch/update, which solved the problem.

So my idea is: Are you using the lasted version of LNS and the latest drivers ??

Thomas :)

12. Blackspear

Yes, same version on both machines. The problem is not LnS specific though, I have just upgraded Nod32 2.50.25 and the Security Centre advises this too is out of date. So who knows why :rolleyes:

Cheers :D

13. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Well, I don't use Security Center.
    I disabled it in Windows Services.
    I can use NOD32 and LNS without any kind of problem.
    Don't forget to disable Windows firewall too, or you can have problems with sharing files in your network.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

14. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

You can install most recent NOD32 or upgrade NOD32 components to most recent, but if the database hasn’t been updated in awhile, SP2 SC will report NOD32 db being outdated anyways.

How many people have installed LnSSvc, or HAD installed LnSSvc on the same Windows Install session?

Have any of you tried Phantastic UnInstaller?

15. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, it could be linked to some conflict with LnSSvc.
    Are you using this or just only the 2.05p2 installation of Look 'n' Stop.

Actually, it is not Windows recognizing a firewall is running, but the firewall which uses specific windows libraries to inform windows it is installed/running.
    For a special reason (bad XP-SP2 update for instance) perhaps these libraries are not working correctly.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.