Looking for suggestions for Corporate Anti-Spyware Software

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ben732, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben732

Ben732 Registered Member

Hello All...

My boss has asked that I do some research to see what we can do to combat the spyware problem in our office. I've found a couple of programs and was curious how good they were.

I'm familiar with Ad-Aware Personal but was wondering how good Ad-Aware Professional is, as far as the process-watch and ad-watch features.

I've heard that Pest Patrol is supposed to be a good program too. What is your company running and how well does it work for you?

For the time being our plan is to disable active-x controls via group policy so that should help keep new infections down. We're also going to deploy a list of websites to restrict in IE via GPO also.

Thanks!

- Ben

2. RJackson

RJackson Guest

The only server manageable solution I am currently aware of is Weboot Spysweeper Enterprise. I am currently using it and it works great.

3. Ben732

Ben732 Registered Member

Yeah I was told about that from someone else also. So it works in a Client/Server relationship? You can set scheduled scans and such? How many pc's do you have it installed on? Did you have to go to each PC to install it or would it push itself to the clients? I have about 150-200 users so going to each person's desk would be very time consuming.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

5. 43543

43543 Guest

I would recommend GIANT antispyware or EWIDO security suite but SpySweeper is also good one!

6. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

If your company has not invested in an antivirus solution you may want to consider Kaspersky with extended database. They offer volume licensing and central management through the Administration Kit. Kaspersky v5 will also soon be allowing for extended database updates (if they have not already done so in the latest MP).

Another solution might be BOClean. It runs in the background and is very light on resources. Though not a dedicated antispyware program it does cover a majority of the more common and difficult to remove spyware threats. I do not recall whether they offer central management but you can always send an email to support.

I have not tried Spysweeper or Giant so i can not really comment on them.

AdAware and Spybot I do not believe have the facilities at the current time to be effectively deployed in a corporate environment. Of course they are very effective tools in cleaning spyware though. So if you do end up having a spyware problem on a specific computer (even with your other precautions taken), that might be a good time to install AdAware/Spybot to clean the computer.

A good security policy would go very far. If possible limit the priviliges on the accounts they log in as. If an alternative browser and email client is not possible lock down the settings for IE and Outlook. And above all else try to inform the users of the threats out there and how to avoid them. Besides spyware from websites and activex, another common entry way for spyware seems to now be programs wrapped with spyware in the installers. This might be worth mentioning as a warning. No program will be good enough if the user is click-happy.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would suggest taking a look at volume licensing of Process Guard 3, this will lock Windows at the lowest level and not allow users to install anything, it also prevents .dll injections typically used by Trojans.

hope this helps...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.