Looking for software that can trap a virus

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by victor43, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victor43

victor43 Registered Member

What I would like to do is simply trap a virus/trojan/malware by visiting known virus websites. I am using Firefox 3.5 for my browser.

Is there anything that works to protect the system from buffer over flow vulnerabilities of firefox but at the same time can trap a virus so that I can analyze my findings.

Something like Tiny Trojan Trap or along the lines.

Thanks in advance

Victor

2. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Buster Sandbox Analyzer + Sandboxie, maybe? I haven't used BSA so no idea how it performs.

IMO, if you have to ask, then it's probably not a good idea to take the risk.

3. victor43

Thanks for the warning but I'll be fine. Thanks for the recommendation. Victor

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

5. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

I have executed malware I downloaded from shady web sites on one of my several Windows boxes at home.

Although, I have to clarify I do execute the malware in a Sandbox.
    For example, using Firefox 3.6 in a Sandbox I visited one of those shady sites and purposely I downloaded the Fake AV named “Security Tool”. I placed the executable on my desktop and then right-clicked on it and from the drop down menu I chose Run Sandboxed and executed the offender file.

The Fake AV “thought” it was actually executing on the System but actually it was Sandboxed.
    Once I saw how and what it did, I just deleted the Sandbox and...POOF!!!...The “Security Tool” Trojan was gone for good.

I do not recommend anyone to do this. That's why I have several computers at home, and some of them are used as test boxes. The one I used runs Vista SP-2.

Regards,

Carlos

6. victor43

Thanks CloneRanger. I'll take a look both products. Appreciate the reply.

7. Buster_BSA

Buster_BSA Registered Member

Virus Trap can not be the solution he is looking for because he wants to trap malwares and they don´t infect files.

Sandboxie is the answer to trap all you want.

If you want to analyze things by yourself then Buster Sandbox Analyzer would not be required. If you want a program that makes an analysis then it´s for you.

http://bsa.qnea.de <- Buster Sandbox Analyzer home page

http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6557 <- Buster Sandbox Analyzer development forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.