Looking for snapshot software with the following criteria?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx aaron!

i gather you also have to reduce the size of your partition so you don't end up with too big an image, right?
    or is the empty space compressed when backing up?

maybe i'll give it a try and see the result...

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Sorry but I still don't see your point. Whenever you restore a backup image (be it a normal image or a sector-by-sector image), the image replaces the partition's entire current configuration!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. Aaron Here

That's not good. One of the really nice features of Rollback Rx is that it retains all snapshot made subsequent to the one being restored and you then have the capability to restore individual files from a more recent snapshot into the older one that was restored. ;)

Aaron

4. Aaron Here

Yes I do believe in relatively small C-partitions, keeping my personal files elsewhere. However (as you speculated), truly empty sectors are highly compressed by Drive Snapshot.

Aaron

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Having to download and install all my apps again and reconfigure my custom settings is definitely something i will pass on thanks lol. Restoring from a sector by sector image may take longer but i can start acronis and let it do its job while i go and do something else. Much less painful overall i think.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I don't think you are understanding me. Maybe i'm just explaining myself poorly. I tend to do that sometime. Lets say I have Rollback RX installed, and I take two snap shots of my system with Rollback RX. Just after creating my 2 snap shots I decide to create a backup image with Acronis, and it really should not matter which method I use. Ok, 2 weeks go by, and I have taken more snap shots, and now I have a total of 5 snap shots. Ok, now I decide to restore my PC using the restore image I created with Acronis 2 weeks ago. Remember when I created the backup image with Acronis I had only taken 2 snap shots with Rollback RX. So out of the 5 snap shots I had will i not loss 3 of them, and be back to 2 snap shots since that's all I had taken before creating the backup image with Acronis?

7. Aaron Here

Your last statement is correct (assuming that the restored image was created as suggested). But I'm still not getting the point you're making. If your point is that when restoring a backup you lose whatever was created/modified since that backup, then of course you do (the more frequent your image-backups, the more up-to-date they are). To my way of thinking, an image-backup is there for disaster recovery - i.e., when RB or other disk-repair methods are incapable of remedying the problem. Since you seem to be concerned with losing your latest programs/files after restoring a disk-image, you have to ask yourself how much of your current configuration you can tolerate losing should you have to revert to an image-backup!

Aaron

8. Cutting_Edgetech

I was not making any point. I was answering someone else's question in this thread, and also trying to get an answer to the uncertainty I had about how Rollback RX functioned. I was just wanting to make sure what i was stating was indeed correct. Your making it sound as though i'm trying to discredit Rollback RX. That is not the case.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  9. Aaron Here

I don't mean to suggest that at all - sorry if I left that impression.

Aaron

10. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Yes you lose, there is the exclusion option in Rollback RX that will help a little with what you want.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  11. Cutting_Edgetech

That's ok. I just wanted to be clear on my intentions :)

12. Cutting_Edgetech

I ended up removing Rollback Rx from my machine because I was unable to restore my PC using Acronis with Rollback Rx installed. When I chose to restore my machine using Acronis from within windows it looked as if all was going well, but during reboot it skipped the restore process. I uninstalled Rollback, and Acronis is working again. I'm not sure if there is a work around for this, but for now I will just be using Acronis. I did have the opportunity to test Rollback RX for the past week, and I was able to restore my PC with it several times so I may install it on another machine. It restored my PC extremely fast, and it's snap shots used very little space. It also only took a couple of seconds to take each snap shot after the initial one was taken during the installation. Rollback is definitely very good at what it does. I would highly recommend it!

13. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i use both RX and imaging.

i use RX as an uninstall program and as a *boot to restore* utility.
    but for *mission critical* stuff i rely on imaging.

i think they both have their usefulness.

as for imaging, i always uninstall RX before doing an image.
    some people do a sector by sector image though so as not to have to re-install RX and to save all their RX snapshots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.