Looking for Security Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sierkahn, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sierkahn

sierkahn Registered Member

Some few years ago I saw a program on one of the old B/B sites. Yes I'm talking about a long time ago back in the dark ages. This program would sit in the background and watch your computer. Watch what was being run when and by who or what.

Yesterday, I left me computer on and I left my office for a while. When I returned, I nopticed the H/D light was on and blinking like it does when there is a program running. I had no programs schedualed to be running at that time so I hit the control/alt/delete and brought up the Windows Task manager. There was nothing there, zip. Why, do I have a hidden program on my computer that only runs when my back is turned? Am I getting paranoid in in my old age? Something was sure going on and it showed up in the Preformance history graph for the CPU and Page file usage.

Can anyone tell me how to find out what is going on with my computer? Does anyone know of a program like the one I mentioned above? It would sure relieve a lot of anxiety on my part. I sure hope I'm not loseing it again. I just found it and I would like to keep it for a while.:blink:

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Is the computer set to go into sleep or hibernation mode?

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

There are quite a few processes that run when the system is idle. For example, AV/AS scans and defragmentation.

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

OK, you didn't have anything running foreground, what was running in the background? The "nothing" was under the (foreground) Applications tab, what shows under the processes tab and which processes are using CPU time? See typical screenshots below from my system. I'm obviously running a lot more than just Firefox, and some of those other applications can be quite active when they need to be...., but Firefox is the only foreground application at the moment.

Blue

Attached Files:

• a1.png
      a1.png
      File size:
      15.1 KB
      Views:
    • a2.png
      a2.png
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views:
  6. sierkahn

Thank you all for your responses.

I checked the running processes and as I was checking there was nothing unusual drawing processor time. I have nothing that I know of that runs behind everything else. I am getting a little paranoid about this. You would think my computer is a runaway AI in a box. Too much Sci-Fi. What ever was running quit when I moved the mouse. As for my computer being in Hibernation,,, No, that is one program I try very hard to stay away from mainly because I don't understand anything about it.

I have looked into some programs I have found at a couple of the freeware sites but they look to be key loggers and I don't think that is the kind of program I would need for this problem

Anyone know a good Shrink that knows anything about Computer Paranoia?

You were supposed to smile at that one.;)

It is going to really tick me off if I find out I left the water running in one of my waterfall screensavers.....:D

7. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

It's probably the prefetcher (superfetch for Vista) doing its thing. When your computer is idle, it will preload the components of your commonly used programs into the memory so that when you access them it will be faster.

8. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

I'd say you have a bit of old-age paranoia. But then again, when I stand on this forum, I swear I'm not being paranoid enough.

I don't run a software firewall, I do have a NAT gateway with firewall, I don't run sandboxie or anything. I do have an anti-virus, but havn't had a hit in over 8 years. (Yes, it IS current.) So either I'm just naturally cautious in my surfing and don't run into / fall for all the social engineering, or I don't know what, because from every indication, this system is clean as a whistle.

9. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi Sierkahn, NOTHING, nothing : Computer Paranoia !!!

Look to Events observer :windowsupdate event ... Your Authority service from grandfather Microsoft ... nothing, nothing is bad ...
    He remember me : Bill !!!... Apply, exit, STEADY. ... ( steadystate o_O... )
    Otherwise - it needs to make it's mind up ...

PS. ... And otherwise - I see thread : " MindGuard X v0.0.0.4 ; Download Today ! " (August 9th, 2008, 5:24 PM !!! ). I see, I see ...

I am with you , Sierkahn ;

PROROOTECT ( always itself ).:-*

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  10. donaddams

donaddams Registered Member

a program i use that is very useful that Explores processes, services, modules, IP-connections, drivers and much more through a simple to use application.You can find out important information such as what modules are involved in a specific process. and is FREE for personal use. it is called
    What's Running 2.2 and here is a link to there website.

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/main.aspx

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

sierkahn, were you thinking of SIW - System Information for Windows?
    It monitors CPU, Memory, Page File usage and Network Traffic in real time. Look for a Standalone version in their Download page.

12. PROROOTECT

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Now you happen to have in your bag of goodies another app to delete those encrypted User Assist entries from the registry?

Kool Waves~~~

14. PROROOTECT

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

16. PROROOTECT

Thanks, EASTER ...

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

From author's site:

This app automatically DECRYPTS the User Assist records of whats been recorded as your every activity in starting applications etc.

Kool App:

http://blog.didierstevens.com/programs/userassist/

18. sierkahn

Thanks Everyone, I have checked out all of your suggestions, downloaded tried and discarded most of them as not doing what I am looking for but I will keep looking. If I happen to come across the program I am looking for I will post it here and let you all know just what kind of ditz I really am. Have a great weekend. Sierkahn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.