Looking for reliable info on 'Infolinks'

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Uitlander, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

Google searches are giving conflicting info on this adware. Some sources say it is installed only on various sites to generate advertising dollars. Others say Infolinks has a component that infects PCs. Anyone know for sure which is true?

2. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

4. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

Many thanks for this link! Others may see it as information overload (36 pages to print), but I relish this stuff. That said, the 'In-text advertising' part does does not jibe with my experience of Infolinks. I figured out:

"The double-underlined word is actually a keyword embedded within text of a web page. The keyword is intended to provide consumers with information that is related to what they are reading. When hovering your mouse over this keyword, a pop up ad is displayed with a preview of the ad the text links to."

that trick over a year ago, and fanatically avoid letting the cursor anywhere near those words. The Infolinks popunders come when I move from page to page. For example, at MajorGeeks I periodically sift through their software offerings, and every time I click on a software title and the page changes, here comes the popunder.

Anyway, all the other info looks wonderful, and I will definitely study it closely.