Looking For New Firewall To Try

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Trooper, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well disk image doesn't work when you have a dual raid format or does it? I tried using some before, none would pick up the raid. As far as the other subject on zonealarm, well I never had it installed, until now, so there was no way I can uninstall something that wasnt there in the first place.

dja2k

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Ask about raid in the Acronis support forum over here at Wilder's. I haven't a clue.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Even using /clean ZA will sometimes still leave crap behind. I uninstalled with /clean recently and was amazed to find vsdatant in hidden devices and running also, after a uninstall and reboot! Apparently you have to uncheck "protect the zonealarm client" before uninstalling (or run at startup.. something like that, don't know for sure). Anyway, ZA really *ought* to do a clean uninstall, but for some odd reason, it doesn't.

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I uninstalled Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.033 from this machine using 'clean parameter" as Diver put it. I did all kinds of things shut it down rebooted with no start ZA at boot did clean uninstall rebooted several times then did some looking around and still found stuff. Days later I get some sort of pop up from AdWatch about a registry issue or log or something I had to go kill that one off and remove too. Really weird. It can be done but it is not easy. By the way this machine now uses OutPost Pro. no BSOD either.

My only point is it can be done but is not easy do not give up. It can be done. I believe the secret to getting rid of it is to make sure the darn thing is not running and a "clean" reboot is very important. It appears once you screw up it can be really bad leaving live active component parts from partial uninstall. Bad system stability issues for many. If this happens seek some help. ;)

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Various, including blocked access for programs on list, BSOD and general instability.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Sounds miserable.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Yep, Kerio or ZA+Harden IT+CHX rules, light and easy, CHX can't be terminated as it is not even shown in the task manager so it offers the ultimate protection, dont' need pesky, interfering hardware based firewalls, no matter how good they promise to be.

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Actually CHX can be terminated, it is just not all that easy to do it. There is a function to unload the firewall driver in the mmc. This programing could be duplicated, but it would have to be a directed attack. Of course this borders on the security through obscurity concept. Widespread malware tends to target widespread software. I recently read that one of the Sobig varities can turn off the Windows ICF and Norton AV.

Anyway, I am satisfied with being behind a router. If I had a laptop the software firewall thing would have to be revisited and most likely my choice would be CHX-1.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

True, but wouldn't the MMC need a script file to be enabled? In that case, your vigilant AV should come into the picture.

SPI Router though is the best line of defense in any case.

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I didn't say it was easy, just possible.

11. Stefan_R

Stefan_R Registered Member

It is trivial for any process with root rights to do so:

"net stop flthook"

Of course you can make the driver unstoppable but that just ain't a good thing and can easily be "bypassed" as well with admin rights.

Best Regards,

Stefan

12. Arup

Arup Guest

Running root is actually the most risky thing one can do but sadly it is a common practice among Windows users.

13. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I don't go near Tiny. Played with an older version not long ago and completely, totally, managed to lock myself out of my own computer. I couldn't even fix the problem in Safe mode. Had to format and reinstall everything. Fortunately, other than XP and Word, I have all my programs saved on a second hard drive.

I now use Kerio 4.1.3 firewall. It's a bit heavy on memory, but seems very low on CPU useage. With ZA, I notice a slight slowdown. There's virtually none with Kerio. Don't know how it does with leaktests, but think I read somewhere here that it's pretty good.

14. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The reason it is a common practice is MS makes it so inconvenient to run as a limited user. A lot of software will not run properly under a limited user because it accesses protected areas of the registry. However, it just amazes me how much trouble some go in the name of computer security while not using a limited account.

15. seventh

seventh Registered Member

I have a question about tiny firewall pro 2005.Is it possible to disable the start up loading bar when windows starts?

16. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

So is that an MS issue, or just poorly written software?

Regards,

CrazyM

17. patermann

patermann Registered Member

Sorry - my mistake. :oops: I thought that when you said "just went back to using good old Zonealarm" you meant that you had been running it before you tried the others.

That should certainly have done the job of clearing everything out! Sorry if my post sounded a bit patronising - it wasn't intended.

patermann

18. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Both. MS says that in Longhorn there will be improvements in this area. I tried running as a limited account for a few weeks and got tired of using the run as command so often. Some things they let you change, like access to CD/DVD burning, but the user is locked out of a lot of normal functions.

19. Down_Under

Down_Under Registered Member

20. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Well after all this, Im bringing this back to the top again.

I am *thinking* of trying Netveda, however I would like to know.

* Am I protected out of the box?
    * Does it have outbound app control?
    * Does it prompt you a lot?
    * Would like to know specific mem/cpu usage
    * Anyone have any screenshots/tutorials for setup?
    * Is this a good firewall for beginners? (I am looking to set some up for some home user clients of mine).

Thanks in advance,

Jag

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

22. Trooper

Thanks ronjor. :D :cool:

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Give it a try. Very nice app. :)

24. Trooper

I think I will, altho on a test box first.

I also need to learn how to properly configure it.

25. Look 007 no funny business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.