Looking for Mac OS X protection.

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by x942, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x942

x942 Guest

So I am currently using Sophos for Mac OS X as it's free. I was wondering about ESET as I have used it on Linux. Is the experience similar? Before I demo it I would like to ask a few questions:

1) Is it light on resources? (Using Mac Book Air 2GB of Ram )

2) Does it only use signatures or does it have Behavioral analysis like many Windows AV's do ?

3) How long are the scans (on average - have a 32 GB SSD).

Thanks for the help :thumb:

2. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

1. ESET Cybersecurity for Mac only requires OSX 10.5+, 100MB HD space and 512MB RAM. You should be fine with your MacBook specs.

2. The Mac product will use these scanning options: Signature DB, Heuristics, Advanced Heuristics. It will scan for these items: Adware/riskware/spyware, potentially unwanted applications, and potentially unsafe applications (off by default).

3. Scan length is very dependent on the number, type, and size of files on the computer. Results will vary.

Thanks,

Matt

3. x942

x942 Guest

Thanks for the response :thumb: I purchased a 2 year subscription and must say it is very light wheight and is working very well! :thumb:

On my Macbook air it takes about 93 minuits to do a full scan. Not bad at all.

4. mjboon

mjboon Registered Member

Hi,

Do you experience slowness on your Macbook Air?

I purchased and installed Eset Cybersecurity on my Macbook Air, 4GB RAM and 64GB SSD.

Without Eset, I able to open my files (PDF, Office Documents) almost instantaneously but with Eset, file opening took noticeably longer.

Purchased the license for 3 Macbook, feel like regretting now ..

5. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi,

I'd suggest to open a ticket with the support department in your country, so that this can be investigated further.

http://www.eset.com/partners/find

Hope this helps.

6. mjboon

mjboon Registered Member

Hi Tony,

Opened a ticket with ESET support team about the performance issue I am facing. And below was the reply I got from the support team.

Looks like a standard FAQ rather than trying to investigate my issue further ..

"Dear User,

Thanks for using ESET Security Product!

Which operating systems are supported by Cybersecurity?

Macs running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5, Snow Leopard 10.6 and Lion 10.7 with an Intel Processor are supported."

7. JCWong1983

JCWong1983 Registered Member

I am also using cybersecurity....I think it still not stable or has bug. I found this from eset.com

Version 4.0.70

Fix: Resolved compatibility issues with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion (Tested on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Golden Master seed)

8. tony_m

Hi mjboon, JCWong1983,

I'd like for both of you to test the new version (4.0.72) of ESET for Mac OS x, which includes some fixes and, in theory, should fix the one you're experiencing. However, the new version is only available for business users, I'll PM with more details.

Thank you.

9. mjboon

mjboon Registered Member

Looks like installing an antivirus on Mac isn't a great idea. Has been using my current MacBook Air for 1yr with great performance. Unfortunately, since I installed Eset Cybersecurity last week, has been experiencing performance issue, and occasionally Safari just hung. Sometime shut down and boot up of my MacBook Air are sluggish.

10. mjboon

mjboon Registered Member

Some comparison I did on my MacBook Air.

Without ESET Cybersecurity
    Safari (home page set to apple.com): 00:03.1
    PDF file(172KB): 00:01.1
    Excel file (33KB): 00:06.0

With ESET Cybersecurity
    Safari (home page set to apple.com): 00:08.2
    PDF file(172KB): 00:26.2
    Excel file (33KB): 00:25.9

11. tony_m

Sorry to hear that. Additional information about your system is needed. I'll PM with the details.

12. x942

x942 Guest

I never noticed these post before (my apologizes). I have experienced some slow down as well but I chaulked that up to PGP WDE with out second though. Maybe it is eset, I have never checked. Firefox does take longer to load with it though.

13. tony_m

14. mjboon

mjboon Registered Member

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately, ESET Cybersecurity (4.0.72) is not compatible with OS X Lion v10.7.1 Update?

A dilemma here. Should I go for operating system enhancement? Or should prefer an antivirus enhancement?

15. x942

x942 Guest

Works for me! Thanks. It really speeds up chrome too thanks to this update! (this is why my next purchase is going to be Eset for Linux - great support and product)

and to the other poster:

Lion has a LOT of issues I would hold off either way for now. I am running it on two air's one old (same as yours) and new (2011) lots of bugs.

16. mjboon

mjboon Registered Member

Hi, are you running Lion 10.7.1 update? Do you experience performance issue with file opening? Such as when open Excel file, PDF file?

Cheers.

17. x942

x942 Guest

I am. I use LibreOffice so I have not had issues with Excel but PDF's have been slow lately. Eset is not installed on my Lion machines only my production Snow Leopard has Eset.

I also notice some new features like launchpad are buggy as h***.

18. mjboon

mjboon Registered Member

Based on my experience with ESET Cybersecurity on MacBook Air (4GB RAM, 64GB SSD) running OSX 10.7 Lion, below is my humble opinion:
    1. Though ESET has great product for Windows platform, unfortunately ESET does not get it right on Mac OSX platform. With the antivirus installed, system became not responsive and occasionally caused the system to crash during boot up. Am regret to say, is not worth spending the money. Not until ESET improve the product.

2. While waiting for ESET to release a much improved antivirus for Mac OSX, I would recommend to give Sophos a try. Free for home user. With Sophos antivirus installed, the system is more responsive than ESET Cybersecurity.

Cheers.

19. tony_m

Hello,

Our development team will need additional information about the affected systems so that this can be investigated further. If you are experiencing some of the issues described here, please contact me via PM and I'll provide you with instructions on how to get that information.

Thank you.

20. x942

x942 Guest

I have had no problems at all so far with ESET. The only "issue" I had was it slowed down boot time by 10-15 seconds, but that seems fixed in the latest version. I have enjoyed it quite so and plan to purchase for windows in the future and Android as well.

21. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,m

If anyone is experiencing a performance problem after installing ESET Cybersecurity for Mac OS X, could you first please check if you have v4.0.72.1 installed? If not, please update to this version and let us know the results. Thank you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

22. x942

x942 Guest

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a Mac Book Air 11 inch (older gen 2) with Eset CyberSecurity Latest version. The ONLY time I notice any lag is when Eset is performing a Full scan. When this is happening Live video streams (mostly TWit network) lags out and stalls. Nothing else has any issues. I am unsure how the other posters have setup their mac's but mine is running:

Eset CS
    PGP WDE
    Little Snitch Firewall
    and Barrier express on demand.

2 GB of ram

No issues over here.

23. foneil

foneil Eset Staff Account

If anyone is experiencing performance issues, please upgrade to the latest version available v4.0.76.

ESET Cybersecurity for Mac version 4.0.76 includes a number of optimizations to improve performance on Mac OS X Lion. One of which is CPU spikes on Macbook Airs with Solid State Drives.

For instructions on upgrading, visit the following ESET Knowledgebase article:
    For other updates and fixes, see the ESET Cybersecurity changelog.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.