Looking for Imaging Software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wildermark, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@wildermark
    These links/threads at the terabyte support feed will explain how IFD/IFW/BING differ in the way they save data and how much space you need for restore.
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/cg...apps.image&key=image size&action=Search Group
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/cg...ic.apps.bootitng&key=size&action=Search Group
    IFD/IFW do not touch the mbr unless you want them to.
    They do not copy pagefile or hiberfile.
    Bing will copy the whole partition unless you specify "image" commands.

Important concept of "image v copy"
    Important you appreciate that although there is eg 10g 'data' on a 20g partition that data may be spread over 18g of the disc and therefore may need 18g space to restore to.

You can safely shrink all the data on a partition to minimal size with BING and then image for a smaller size for restore to a smaller partition.

HTH

Cant really comment on the other tools here as have not investigated in detail
    Prolly the other posters can give details.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Yes indeed you can use it for backup, I just wouldn't count on it for hardware failure. They're just different programs.

As far as the speed goes, FD-ISR is generally faster as long as you don't have to copy or create a full snapshot, although True Image does have the Snap Deploy feature that only takes a minute or so before you can boot into Windows and get back to work.

They've both got their advantages, I just wouldn't entirely replace a full disk imaging program for something like FD-ISR.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree, much as I use FDISR, it really doesn't replace imaging. You can though use it to cut down how often you image.

I have and do occasionally use Acronis, and like Eric it's not failed me. but I strictly stay with image and restore. I suspect some of it's Bells and Whistles like snap restore, are why there are so many complaints in the forum.

4. sara15

sara15 Registered Member

Re: Need Imaging & Snapshot Software?

Hi to all more experienced,

Question about need for both snapshot and full-image software. My impression is that FDISR, (and RollbackRx if it becomes stable) excellent for restoring if there's a software glitch. Both save snaps on primary harddrive, tho FDISR snaps can be archived externally..?

But if there's a harddrive problem, to avoid a reinstall from scratch, would need a workable full-drive image on an external drive, or CD's. Yes?

Since FDISR says it's snapshot takes the size of the part of C partition being used...which on a 100gb drive would limit number of snapshots - why wouldn't someone just do whole images on CDs and use them even if hardware ok? Is it just the time to make them?

I can see using both a drive Image program and Rollback - if people had fewer problems with it - because it seems to use so much less space.

Am I missing something critical about difference between FDISR and Imaging programs? Just trying to simplify as much as possible, and no more than is wise.
    Thanks for any guidance or info.

5. Peter2150

I use FDISR and Imaging all the time. Re, the disk space you just apply a little imagination with FDISR. What I do right now, is just keep my primary snapshot, which has everything(I don't partition) and a 2nd snapshot which is just a stripped down system. I keep a full copy of my primary partition as an archive off disk and this I update frequently. So if something happens depending on what I may restore an image or just boot into the secondary snapshot, and restore the primary from the archive. Also this way if my image is a week old, once restored, I can use FDISR to bring myself current.

Another use is if you play with something like Microsoft Flight Simulator which is huge, but don't use it every day you can put it into a separate snapshot and keep that off disk as an archive, and just restore it when you want to use it.

As to FDISR vs Rollback. Yep Rollback is less space consuming, but as far as I know Rollback still doesn't officially support raid 0, and now all my machines are raid 0. FDISR does.

Pete

6. sara15

sara15 Registered Member

Hi Pete,
    thanks for the explanation. Helpful. Especially about archiving and restoring some especially large program.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2006
  7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I would keep in mind that the people that use both a disk imaging program and a rollback program like FD-ISR or RollbackRx are people that do a lot of testing and would otherwise have to re-image (or format) their system quite often. If you're mainly looking for just a disaster recovery program for the rare times it's needed, I wouldn't worry about using more than an imaging program. If you play with a lot of software, however, and want to use a rollback type program often, then it might be worth it, but otherwise it's just going to take up resources if you don't use it.

8. Peter2150

:thumb:

9. sara15

sara15 Registered Member

Well, I don't do testing or development, so it's mainly disaster recovery.
    I do like to download and try various utilities though -- maybe something like
    Sandboxie, with ability to load or "rollback" to pre-download would be enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2006
  10. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I have no experience of Sandiebox or Rollback or FD-ISR so perhaps I should look at them ?

Before installing any new program I use Acronis to make a full image ( takes about 5 minutes). Later when I have done testing I restore that image ( takes a bit longer -say 8 or 9 minutes).

would any of the other programs be a better solution for program testing ? would they restore the machine to exactly the same configuration pre program installation ?

11. Peter2150

@Sara15 In your case, I'd say imaging is enough. But be sure and test recovery with those images. Until you do a test restore you really don't know if it will do so when you need it. Programs like FDISR won't help if your drive fails, although they can serve a purpose even in that situation.

@Longview Yes programs like FDISR and Rollback can be invaluable in testing. Quicker than an image/restore and yes the put the system back exactly as it was.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.