Looking for free FW that plays well with Avast Free.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cp4eva, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

If you know that its a malicious file, just quarantine it via avast. It can still be quarantined even though avast might not detect it as malware.

2. guest

guest Guest

Are you sure that the option "block" do not appear? it's almost like quarantine.

ANyway I think that this has changed on 5.8 beta and now when there is a cloud detection it's blocked automatically CIS and a popups with no interaction appears, then you can make it trusted or not via D+ events. Some people is requesting again some interaction, let see how ends the 5.8 beta.

But the important thing is the detection, the malware has to be able to bypass the sandbox and the HIPS to infect the computer. An unknown/malware file will be opened in the sandbox and then blocked/deleted by the cloud AV. The important thing is that you notice that it is a malware file and it has not been able to infect you computer.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
  3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Your best option is Windows Firewall. It's very good, and since it's integrated into the OS you won't find anything lighter or more compatible.

As much as I love Comodo FW, when I upgrade to Windows 7 I'll be using the FW that comes with it. And if I still want a HIPS at that time I'll use a dedicated one.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I agree! I recently rolled back to it (from OA free) and have been fine. I may consider the yet to come "service" version of Windows Firewall Control at some point, but for now, the base model is fine.

5. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Yes you are right. I just pointed this for average users. They might dont know how to manually quarantine a file with any av.

Thanxx
    Naren

6. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Combinations are good but sometimes brings probs. Like any update & upgrade creates a prob with the other & then you have to find a solution or make some modifications. Expert users can handle anything.

For average users I always recommend Windows FW & any good AV or Complete Suite.

If you are an expert, my recommendation would be Comodo & Avast or Complete Comodo Suite. If you haven't tried it, try it. If you like it keep it or try other combinations which works fine on your system.

Thanxx
    Naren

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

You're right in combinations playing a tricky role in getting that right setup. Throw in different system specs and you can have all sorts of problems.

PC Tools firewall isn't mentioned much, but for the sake of it, I'm trying the latest version and the alerts are more simple than before and I've had no issues. Time may tell, but I've always liked their firewall.

If Look n Stop were free, I'd say by far, it is the easiest and lightest one to use.

8. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I too like a lot their firewall,but it still have issues with SBIE unfortunately.

9. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I found with Avast! Free AV that I had to close Online Armor Firewall's HiPS as Avast's Real-Time Shields wouldn't activate.

I see OLA has been suggested as compatible with Avast. Is my experience NOT par for the course?

10. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I've used OLA and its HIPS with Avast, Real-Time Shield turned on, for quite a while on my wife's laptop with no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.