Looking for an FD-ISR/Eaz-Fix-like program:

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by apathy, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have seen some snapshots take 3 minutes.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I wish i knew exactly how it works lol! I find the snapshots to be very reliable, i've never had any trouble with them. It only takes my system about 5 seconds on average to take a snapshot and probably about 10 seconds during a reboot to switch to another snapshot. Thats basically why i switched from fd-isr to rb, for me its just faster and more efficient for what i need.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

If I understand it correctly, it is basically incremental remapping of the filesystem. Let's say I take a snapshot of my system. The partition is comprised of free and occuppied sectors. When I take a snapshot, I lock the contents of the occuppied sectors. If I try to make any changes to a "locked" sector, it does occur but the change is redirected and made to what was free space (which then becomes occupied). The next time I take a snapshot only the sectors that had become part of occupied space since the prior snapshot need to be actively locked, all other occupied sectors were already locked. So you're preserving state differences in your system, not the entire state, and you're doing it on your active disk. I assume the throwaway content (say in Temporary Internet Folders) is not preserved.

This allows me to step back to points in time, recreating the system during that period. This is also why you'll have enormous problems if you manipulate the filesystem outside of the Eaz-Fix environment.

Don't confuse this type of system state snapshot with an image. They are very different.

Blue

4. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

Blue, thanks for the explanation. I think I'll stick with ShadowProtect and imaging.

I like the idea of running my O/S natively, without extra drivers and other software, especially when it comes to MBR changes, disk access and free space management.

With ShadowProtect, I can boot the CD and make or restore an image, without affecting the daily operation of my system.

5. RobertB

RobertB Registered Member

On Horizon DataSys' site (https://horizondatasys.cleverbridge.com/281/purl-RollbackRXPro), it says they charge $10.35 for "Annual Maintenance," which gives you "24hour response, email of updates, patches and new builds."

Can anyone tell me how long they take to respond to user e-mails for tech support if you don't buy this option?

Also, I couldn't find anywhere on EAZ Solution's website that says whether they have a similar charge. Do they?

Lastly, it appears to me that EAZ Solution has a toll-free telephone tech support number (and there's no indication that they charge for it); andHorizon DataSys offers no telephone tech support at all. Is any of that not correct?

Robert

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I apologize if this is a bit off-topic but a definite pattern seems is developed in just about ALL security apps right now, (ISR's not as much), and that is they seem to be consistently & currently (Most) undergoing In-House Lab examinations and adding additional improvements (bug repairs) where they might or might not prove effective enough in order to proceed onto other newer areas of better more intelligent coverage.

This inch by inch improvement IMO does not indicate so much as a severe test of the command of their programming abilities as much as the Operating System their up against and the innumerable amount of filling in those areas that best need addressed.

I said all that to suggest this, ISR's are a viable useful addition and of all others in this field, IMHO need the most attention right now to work effectively straight-out-of-the-box and throughout it's continued use without issue, akin like the Genuine discontinued FD-ISR that sparked a Legendary following but fell victim to economic enemia to the point it had to be passed off like a hot potatoe to another distributor.

It would be nice if we could be surprised by a couple of new entries into this ISR field, but in the meantime we're limited by what's available at the present and with their limitations, whatever they may be.

In answer & conclusion to the title of this topic, i know of none other that i could highly recommend at this point in time.

EASTER

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've contacted them several times and they usually get back to me in a day or two. I'm satisfied with their support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.