Looking for a solution (encryption)...

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by AlexC, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I'm looking for a free program to encrypt a folder in my computer that is in the 2nd partition (a data partition). However i fear to lose access to the encrypted files if, for some reason, i later need to re-install the OS (that is in the 1st partition), because that would imply the erase of the program i used to encrypt the files in the 2nd partition.

Any way to get out of this one?

Thanks!

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

maybe try truecrypt file container. as long as you don't lose data partition you should be fine as you can always reinstall the prog if system partition is lost. Best have backups/system image

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

TrueCrypt file volumes that I created years ago in Windows XP work in the latest version of TrueCrypt running on Ubuntu.

4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

That was exactly my problem: if something that is needed to decrypt is kept inside the particular installation of truecrypt that encrypted the files, in way that if i need to format the system partition and re-install truecrypt, this new installation won't be able to decrypt the files... A litlle bit confusing sorry for my english.

However from the answer of mirimir i can assume that theres no problem at all.

Thanks! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.