Looking for a replacement for Outpost Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Denna, May 25, 2017.

1. MessageBoxA

MessageBoxA Registered Member

Ok,

I admit that I have not reviewed their product for several years... they use to be implemented on the TDI layer. That's why I was reluctant to call out any product by-name and endorse any products.

My advice remains the same; When choosing a firewall avoid TDI or LSP based firewalls.

Best Wishes,
    -MessageBoxA

2. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I need a link to latest version Outpost Firewall (64 bit).
    TIA

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  3. Rules

Rules Registered Member

4. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Thank you Rules.

5. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

I just did an SSD replacement a couple of days ago. The firewall I installed in the computer misbehaved so I uninstalled it.

What did I replace it with? Outpost. Heck I have licenses for 6 computers so why not?

Seems to work fine.

6. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Outpost was great, no doubt about it, but it's dead now, isn't it? What's wrong with Windows Firewall (plus Windows Firewall Control by BiniSoft, if needed)? Maybe this is preferable to installing a firewall that was buried long ago. Just my 2 cents.

7. jadinolf

Your thought is well appreciated but I am one of those computer weirdos. Heck I have 5 computers and play with every one every day.
    I just like to be different.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  8. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I see what you mean. I also tend to be "experimental" every now and then.:)

9. jadinolf

Yep but sometimes these experiments get me in trouble.;)

10. jadinolf

Still using Outpost.:)

11. 71Darrin

71Darrin Registered Member

Anybody have a link to latest version Outpost Firewall (64 bit)?

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@71Darrin
    installer's still available on sw sites like techspot and tucows.

13. 71Darrin

Thank You IMDb.

14. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

While it's nice, as a 'retired' Outpost forum moderator & admin, to see Outpost still in use, I've not thought about it for quite a while. Miss it tho.

I must note it has not been updated in quite a while and so may have vulnerabilities more recent other offerings may not have. I used OSS 64bit up till the end, and OPFW until it stopped working in windows 10. I use the binisoft, now malware bytes windows firewall control and Malwarebytes anti-malware in conjunction with windows defender in my win10 x64 insider fast lane builds. Binisoft's rules creation works more like Outposts than any other I've tried, once you get used to it.

15. 71Darrin

I'm still running Windows 7 Ultimate and would like to go back to HIPS based firewall. I always loved Outpost Firewall PRO 9.3 like Rules is showing here but I can't seem to find that build version he is showing let alone a 64bit version. I went to both tucows and techspot sites but they only offer x86 versions. Tried Binisoft/Malwarebytes firewall control before but they just don't provide the protection I'm missing. Private Firewall/Online Armor/Comodo just aint happening here either. Call me stubborn, but nothing seems to compare...

16. 71Darrin

Thanks kronckew for your advice. Aren't you concerned about running DNS Client Service with Malwarebytes Firewall Control or a botched Microsoft .Net frame update? I am currently running SimpleWall 3.0.9 and like it better than Sphinx Windows 10 Firewall Control due to its boot time filters, port scanning prevention, filter protection, telemetry blocking and it has a much better GUI than Sphinx.Henry++ seems to have worked out all the bugs as it has ran flawlessly on my system, and is very lite. I am however still missing having HIPS and after doing some more reading here I have realized WFP is better than the old TDI layer of packet filtering. Too bad because I used to run LooknStop and loved that firewall too.

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Private Firewall still does a good job on my Win7 laptop. My "Valiant Trio" of PFW + VoodooShield + OSArmor has blocked every nasty my computer club has thrown at it. (Yes, I know: There never was a horse that couldn't be rode, AND there never was a rider that couldn't be throwed. That's why I image C-drive 4 times/week.)

18. login123

login123 Registered Member

I am also looking for a firewall for win 7 64 bit, or maybe a way to still use Outpost.
    Mostly because I used Outpost for years on win xp and am familiar with it.
    Also because of it's "learning mode", and it's capability of blocking individual exe's.

It wouldn't bother me a bit that Outpost is discontinued as long as I could legally use it.
    I've read most or all of the posts on Wilders, also other reviews.
    Kronckew, in post 64, almost has me persuaded to try Binisoft if I cant get Outpost to go.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you. :)

19. jadinolf

As you may have read here, I am using Outpost and am still happy with it.
    I don't believe that legality enters into this.
    Just keep using it, if you wish.

20. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I have a lifetime license and continue to use version 93 on win 7-64bit.
    But even if you don't have a license, Agnitum no longer exists, so legality is not an issue IMO.

If you insist on changing, Sphinx firewall is excellent. No HIPS, no behavior, just superb packet filtering. Easy to setup because of prebuilt zones which contain a bunch of ports and protocols - the concept is very similar to what Outpost has when you asked Outpost to make a custom rule for an application.
    http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vistafirewallcontrol/the-latest-betas-releases-t6.html
    Current version, safe to use, is 8.4.0.84.
    Add to it Malwarebytes Antiexploit and I think you'll be happy.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I use Private FW -- it includes a HIPS and works fine with Win7.

I am also staying with Win7, despite all the FUD from Micro$oft et alia. In addition to Private FW, my real-time security wall also includes SecurityAPlus (an anti-executable with AV scanner), OSArmor (behavior blocker), and MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit (an anti-exploit for internet facing apps). Most importantly, I image my C-drive every 1 or 2 days, to a free-standing drive, & retain images ~4 weeks. Imaging is the KEY to security!

22. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

23. login123

I'll try installation as soon as time allows, will post back what happens.
    If Outpost won't go, I'll try Sphinx or Binisoft, I had already checked them out.
    Thanks to all for the help.

24. jadinolf

Don't think it will run on Windows 10. I had it on one of my Windows 10 machines back in the day and all of a sudden it wouldn't work. I assume Windows made a change which caused it. If you try it on 10 and it works, it would be nice if you would report it here.

25. login123

Thank you Mr. B for those links. May not work since the only license I have is for v-6.5.1 which I still run on win xp. But I'll give it a try. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.