Looking for a new FW

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Albinoni, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I can only speak for the paid (Pro) version of Outpost....but yes, the developers stay on top of it and are constantly upgrading the product and releasing new versions, etc. As for "what others have said or commented"....I believe they're probably referring to the free version, which I believe it has been questioned several times as to just how much they upgrade it compared to the Pro (pay) version (o_O).

I'm not sure about any free suite that Agnitum produces....but as far as Kaspersky goes, if you're going to keep the antivirus, you may as well keep the suite with the firewall, since from all accounts they run smoothly together and offer optimal protection. If you're switching your antivirus and plan on going with a free version, then perhaps a free firewall would make the most sense....and from all accounts, Comodo is worth looking in to (just not for me). One I would likely look in to, if I ever decided that I was unhappy with Outpost, would be Privatefirewall, which is also free.

2. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

Outpost firewall pro is pretty good choice , got a 3 PC lifetime license ages ago and works without a problem.

I think they have discounts on it frequently, i bought mine during a 50% discount week :D

3. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

As one that loves Outpost firewall, I'd say that any choices mentioned here are good ones. It's always been my contention that you should not heed recommendations from others very much really. Personally I think the best firewall for anybody is one that you understand how to use. Configuring any firewall -unless you just take the defaults - is the hardest thing to do properly, so a firewall that thinks like you do is the best one you can get.

The only way to figure out the "best" firewall for you is to give them each a try and see what you think about it. As you can see in this thread, different people have different experiences using the same product because in reality every PC is unique to the user. If one of the firewalls you are testing makes sense to you and you understand how most of it works and it works nicely on your machine, then just stop and stick with it. That's the one for you.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Lately i've been testing a few firewalls: LnS, TinyWall, ZoneAlarm.

i did not think about testing Comodo Firewall because i had a few bad experiences years ago with their products.
    i started testing CF/D+ a couple days ago and i am impressed and surprised so far.

it's very light, barely using 3 megs of RAM.
    seems very stable and responsive as well.:thumb:

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

OA would be my recommendation. It's simply awesome.:thumb:

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

+1.:thumb:

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I chose Comodo Internet Security (firewall + anti-virus) because I didn't want conflicts with AV and FW from different companies.

Comodo FW is pretty good. I prefer OA interface, but for some reason it started to slow my computer down over time. After OA, I tried Windows Firewall Control with Avast AV, but they conflicted, so now I'm using Comodo, which is trouble free and efficient, but harder or less intuitive for me to configure.

8. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Did you ever find what you were looking for?

9. Spiedbot

Spiedbot Guest

Salut,

Tous les pare feu avec bloqueur comportemental (Outpost, Online armor, Comodo, etc..) sont susceptibles de geler voire bloquer un système 64 bits, rappelons que l'UAC est un bloqueur comportemental et qu'il n'y a pas lieu de faire double emploi.

Cette fonction de blocage comportemental (une des parties de la proactivité) est en général dévolue aux antivirus, attention aux conflits possibles.

Un pare feu ouvre ou ferme des ports, c'est tout ce qu'on lui demande, sous 64 bits le choix semble restreint, Look n' stop n'est plus suivi, Windows firewall filtre très bien en entrée mais pas en sortie, Windows 7 firewall control est un bon choix (ses copies devront faire leurs preuves...).

Donc en gratuit je conseillerais le pare feu de Windows joint à un bon antivirus payant.
    Côté payant, achetez vous une suite antivirus (dont un pare feu) ou Windows 7 firewall control.

All the firewalls with behavioral blocker (Outpost, online armor, Comodo, etc.) are likely to freeze or even block a 64-bit system, or even remember that UAC is a behavioral blocker and that there is no duplication.

This blocking behaviour (one of the parts of proactivity) is typically vested antivirus, attention to potential conflicts.

A firewall open or close ports, this is what he is asked, under 64-bit choice appears to be limited, Look 'n' stop is more followed, Windows firewall filter very well enter but not exit, Windows 7 firewall control is a good choice (its copies must prove themselves...).

So I would advise free Windows firewall attached to a good antivirus paying.
    Side, do you buy a suite antivirus (which a firewall) or Windows 7 firewall control.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2012
  10. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

11. The Red Moon

I disagree.Tinywall would be a better alternative.:thumb:

12. anoj

anoj Registered Member

Just to expand a little:
    Vista 32 bit, Netgear router, Windows FW, NOD32 AV but looking for easy, effective outbound control.
    Any recommendations?

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

OA would be a wonderful choice.:thumb:

14. guest

guest Guest

"looking for easy, effective outbound control."

Look'nStop

15. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Security-wise, if you're a complete neophyte, Tinywall would probably be the ideal choice.

If you're an advanced user seeking granular control, Windows Firewall with Advanced Security coupled with WFN, used with a standard user account and uac cranked to max, is sufficient.

If you don't trust Microsoft, the ideal is Outpost Firewall Pro.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  16. hogndog

Out of curiosity i installed the Outpost free version where i found out in order to upgrade to the pro version the out of pocket cost is now a whopping $9.95.. that's a very good deal considering the Outpost firewall is very powerful and for the kind of protection you get that's a dynamite deal

17. Spiedbot

Spiedbot Guest

Salut,

Outpost is not more powerful than another in 64-bit, the patchGuard prevents it from having a real proactive action, the placebo effect is only active ... however UAC is there.

Outpost n'est pas plus puissant qu'un autre en 64 bits, le patchguard l'empêche d'avoir une vraie action proactive, seul l'effet placebo est actif... en revanche l'UAC est bien là.

18. hogndog

Phew! Well i ran the firewall gantlet and if i had to give a thumbs up it would go to Outpost Free, yes the old one, although I've heard some good things about the new and improved Pro version. Curios about this thread, hadn't really seen it before just kind of breezed on by it..

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=142036

This thread as well.. there's some good reading here..

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24415

Now I'm back to my XP Pro with a router, with some adjustments of course, thanks to the membership at Wilders..

Hogndog

19. The Red Moon

How is the pro version stronger than the free version please.?
    Also is the free version still supported and updated?:thumb:

20. hogndog

Support is their strong suit they reply to your questions in a timely manner..

http://www.agnitum.com/support/contact.php

I had mine set on training mode for a couple days then adjusted the settings to block most.. Anything that tries to monkey with your registry is immediately stopped until you read the message balloon, its a good firewall doing what its designed to do..

Hogndog

21. The Red Moon

Is the free firewall still supported because i have heard to the contrary.
    Also they claim to have developed the first fully functional free security suite.:blink: :blink:
    That is obviously a lie.Comodo has been running a lot longer than this.o_O.
    Anyway its the firewall component im looking at as it seems to be receiving fairly good reviews.

Again will anybody confirm the FREE firewall is still supported and still there is no explanation as to the difference between the free and pro version.

Also the ethics of the company do seem a bit dicey.Claiming to have the first free security program when it is obvious it has done nothing of the kind.

Im still not seeing anything within the agnitum free product which could make me stop using comodo.
    If the free firewall is still supported then i may try that but they dont seem to support the free products which is where comodo is still leading here.

Best Wishes.:thumb:

22. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Under Windows 7 the firewall stuff is not so shiny.

Comodo was creating allow rules by itself when i tested it ,Outpost freezes the system or creates allow all rules by itself for some applications ,build in firewall is hard to control and it also allows inbound for some application automatically( but is a choice ), Private Firewall pop ups all kinds of annoying questions in spite of disabling the HIPS feature and so on.

The only acceptable for me is Online Armor free with HIPS off ,firewall that seems to control network with it s own network driver "rara avis" this days.But this one also needs some stuff tweaked as it updates ports it is opening with a mind of itself

Microsoft should of created a real interface for their firewall in Windows 8 instead of the Metro thing ,as they have already killed the 3-rd party firewall business.

LE:In all this 3-rd party firewalls i always disable the trusted vendors stuff so the automatic rule creating /training is not related to this and it is happening in relation to PC games mostly.Automatic inbound rules creation in Windows 7 firewall is still a mistery to me.After every game update (Cs ,BF ,Steam or you name it) i have to remove automatic inbound rules.As a paranoid i am not feeling safe with this ones compared to the offer we had under XP.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  23. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Yes, i always increase 2 firewall settings in Comodo when i install it. This way it will ask you for everything. I find the default behaviour too relaxed. Good for people that don't want pop ups, but too relaxed for my taste. But it just takes to move up 2 sliders (don't remember the exact names) and it becomes fully controlable.

24. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Addendum:

Here's the settings i use with Comodo:

1.png

2.png

3.png

Despite choosing "pubblic network" and unticking "this is ICS server", on "high alert frequency", i did have requests for Netbios ports and 445, so, better safe than sorry. Anyway, with these settings the "auto-rules" stops and it asks you per port and protocol. As a matter of fact, i have also edited some rules for specifying IP too ("very high frequency alert level"). But leaving the setting always on, is way too annoying. High is much better.

25. The Red Moon

Thats the settings i use also.Have you implemented chirons settings for defense+ too?:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.