Looking for a FREE Backup Program that starts on USB Key?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheMozart, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear ams963,

I am not sure! EasyBCD allows for building linux boot media with GRUB, Syslinex and so forth, but I haven't done it. Never saw the need for it.

However, this menu will not be part of Windows bootmenu, but an earlier menu before Windows.

Best regards,

KOR!

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh okay. Thanks you. :)

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Due to comments made by KOR, I decided to remove Kriever, and I am now using the latest Macrium, and it backs up my C: in 8 minutes :) Kriever takes 20 minutes.

The WIN boot CD detects my external USB hard drive, but the Linux boot CD does not. SO I am glad I was able to create the WIN CD.

SO now all I have to do is add Macrium to boot menu, but not having any luck with that so far.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

KOR, what exactly will this achieve? In case you want to restore an image, Marcium appears as you boot W7 in a menu, and you choose Macrium and it restores an image, similar to Kriever? Why do that instead of booting an USB stick for example? What's the benefit of adding it to bootmenu? Just saves us having to boot a CD or USB stick? Nothing else?

In regard to EasyBCD, I cannot work it out....when I click on "Edit boot menu" all I see is "Windows 7", and Macrium doesn't appear in there. And I don't know how to add it and point it to load Macrium?

What are the steps exactly to add Macrium to bootmenu and so the bootmenu knows to load Macrium to restore an image when I select Macrium from bootmenu?

When I choose "Add New Entry", nowhere am I able to point to Macrium location. What am I missing?

And when I created an ISO of Macrium and added it to EasyBCD, when I rebooted and clicked on Macrium, all that loaded was a GRUB CLI and Macrium didn't load.

What am I doing wrong KOR?

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  5. aladdin

Dear Friend,

So far so good that you have created a WINPE ISO of Macrium. Now we will need this ISO for two things. To make it as bootmenu and also to create a USB with all your imaging programs (WINPE).

But first, I find it better to image within Windows for two reasons:

1. It is not time consuming waiting for the imaging to finish.
    2. Once the imaging starts a little, meaning after the snapshot is created, the drive is locked and the imaging starts a little bit, I then continue working on the PC.

I keep imaging programs on the bootmenu and on USB, in case if I have to restore the image. Sometimes, the bootmenu is also not available and in those cases the USB comes handy.

USB is faster, easy to add updated ISO and there is no waste of CD/DVD.

Here are the instruction on creating the bootmenu:
    1. Name the ISO as "Macrium v5 x86".
    2. Create a sub-directory in Drive D as "Image Protector"
    3. UnRAR the ISO.
    4. Move the complete UnRAR ISO, which will be "Macrium v5 x86" to the sub-directory called, "Image Protector".
    5. Open EasyBCD as go to the third menu on the left called, "Add New Entry".
    6. Under that menu on the bottom called, "Portable/Eternal Media" and go to the third menu called, "WINPE".
    7. Under "Path", go find the sub-directory, "Macrium v5 x86" (See #3 above.) and go down to sub-directory called, "Sources".
    8. Here you will find a file called, "boot.win". Select this file and under name type, "Macrium v5 x86" and then "Add Entry".
    9. Done!

See Below:

6. aladdin

See Here:

Attached Files:

7. aladdin

Now go to my post #13 and make sure that "Boot Default OS after 3 seconds" and then "Save Settings" on bottom.

Later we will create a USB (WINPE) for all your imaging programs.

Best regards,

KOR!

8. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Seems complicated. Why not just either:
    1. Use EasyBCD's 'Add New Entry -> ISO' and add Macrium v5 x86.ISO to boot menu (I use the 'Load from memory' option but 'Run from disk' should work too), or
    2. Mount the Macrium ISO, copy boot.wim to C:\ or elsewhere, then add it to boot menu like you describe (I see no need to create a directory called 'Image Protector' and copy everything there).

9. aladdin

Under the directory called 'Image Protector', I have all the imaging programs WINPE there. You can call this directory anything you want, I just wanted the photo I posted look like the instructions I posted.

However, when an update is released for any imaging programs, I UnRAR the update WINPE ISO and replace it in that directory. Like that I always have the latest version.

Best regards,

KOR!

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Wow KOR, you are so clever for working that out. It works like a charm. :)

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I think KOR's method is very easy and straightforward and I think your method is too complicated.:cautious:

12. aladdin

Thank you my friend for your kind compliments!

Best regards,

KOR!

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Kor you did not reply to my pm. Did I offend you my friend? Please reply to my pm. :)

14. aladdin

I already replied to your PM, but you didn't like my answer. So, you sent me another one, and if I answer you the same then what!

Best regards,

KOR!

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ha ha ha. Fair enough. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.