looking for a cheap laser or ink printer with a scanner

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

All I know is that the Brother software will always tell me that inks runs low, even when those cartridges have barely been used. It's hard to imagine that this is only because I don't print a lot. And my bad, HP Instant Ink is indeed a subscription service, nothing special about it.

I don't think this happens with my current Brother printer. And yes, it's all about greed. And the new Brother EcoTank printers cost about 200 euro, so quite expensive if you don't print a lot, but according to them you will save money spend on cartridges. I'm not buying it, they will probably tell you that ink is running low again.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

If you are saying all the while that your computer is still showing the printer is on-line and you are still able to print, then yes, that is really odd. It cannot be a printer problem then. I wonder if it is not really your wife's computer momentarily losing network connection, and then failed to reestablish a link to the printer when the network connection is restored?

If she connects via Ethernet, try a different cable. Those cables are cheap, flimsy, fragile but critical network devices. And if possible, I would try a different Ethernet port on the router (they can go bad too). If she connects wirelessly, then reorienting antennas can help, or moving closer to the wireless AP (typically integrated into the router).

That suggests a software problem, not that the ink itself is running out. Are these combo cartridges? That is for example, are cyan, magenta, and yellow inks all in one cartridge, or separate?

Also, do remember that ink jet ink does have a shelf-life. Even when still sealed, unused in its packaging, it can go bad.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Absolutely. HP puts expiration dates on theirs. I don't know if they still do it but I have had HP printers refuse to print because the ink was "expired".

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I got myself Xerox B215 - it fits in the specified budget, printer + scanner. Now, for low use, you actually want laser, because the toner won't dry whereas ink will, and if the ink dries, apart from the cost, you may end up with smudges or lines on the printing roller, which basically means you'd need a new printer.
    Mrk

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

She is using Wi-Fi and has good reception, so it is not dropping out. I have not looked too much into the printer issue yet. In the past, she was only printing occasionally, and it's only recently that she has been printing a lot.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I always install ink right away and these are all separate inkcartridges, 4 in total. I really don't think it's a software problem, you would think that even when inks dries out, it would still be able to see that the ink itself is still present. Like I said, it seems very shady to me.

That's exactly what Brother seems to do. No matter if you don't print a lot, it will tell you that ink is almost out after 2 months or so, weird that nobody investigates this stuff, for foulplay.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

No foulplay. Just dirty business practices. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.