Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Technodrome, Feb 13, 2002.
Any News for a final release?
Not really, but a new beta should very very very shortly !
Hey Mickey, what happened to "When all proper testing has been done"
Nothing wrong with issuing beta versions as long as those using it are aware of what beta is !
But then again, beta with L"n"S has proven so far to be much more stable than most commercial products out there !
Still currently the best secure product firewall !
New Beta release to be issued within a day !
Will, of course, keep you all posted !
I heard some raving about look 'N stop, but have never tried it. I have been a die hard TPF user since I switched from ZA. I do not prefer application based firewalls like ZA, I like rule based ones like tiny. I tried Sygate, and it have a couple fetures that Tiny doesn't (packet capturing that allows me to see the last HowEverMany packets that came to my machine was the best one), but its overall use was more cumbersome than Tiny.
I've have to do some research on this look n stop.
L'n'S has a user support forum at Becky's:
Frédéric, the coder is on top of things and the first one to have issued patches for all know vulnerabilities more than 2 months ago while the others are still "trying" to figure out how to do it.
(And it's small: 443k)
A new beta 02 is available for the 2.03 version.
Here is the link:
- new dialog box to select the TCP flags for TCP packets (this allows to filter specifically TCP: NULL, TCP: XMAS, TCP: FIN packets)
- new EnhancedRulesSet.rls file (previous one is still there as the default for the 1st installation)
This new RuleSet is based on the standard one with the following modifications:
- addition of 3 new rules using TCP flags (TCP: NULL, TCP: XMAS, TCP: FIN)
- deactivation of the "TCP : Authorize Identification" rule (for Irc users, just reactivate it but you won't be stealth on grc)
- addition of the "Block Incoming Connection" rule
- addition of two new rules for IP fragment, these rules are not activated by default (to be tested, feedback welcome)
This version can be installed over the 2.03 Beta 01. In this case, no reboot is required.
Reboot will be required for a 2.02=>2.03 Beta 02 update.
A french version is available as well:
The Look 'n' Stop Team.
Just remember this is a just released beta version of a program, and not to be used unless you are comfortable with this.
It will be taken apart in the next day or so by those willing to do it, so you may just want to sit out on the sideline if beta testing is not your bag!
Separate names with a comma.