Long backup time with pVHD

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by andb52, Jan 27, 2014.

1. andb52

andb52 Registered Member

Hello. I am currently using the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 14 Professional Demo. My intention is to buy it after I confirm that it works effectively to create incremental backups of various hard disks I have.

The problem is this: it is taking forever to do an initial backup of a large drive. I have a 2 TB HDD, with approximately 1.5 TB of used space. I am trying to back it up to another 2 TB HDD in the same JBOD (connected to the computer by a USB 3.0 cable). After 12 hours, it says it still has 16 more hours to go.

By contrast, if I do a "normal" PBF backup, it takes a maximum of (I'm estimating) around 10 hours.

Here's another wrinkle: when I backup the C drive, which is about 66 GB of used space, it completes in about 7 minutes.

What is going on? Why is it so slow? Do you have any suggestions?

I want to use pVHD because I want to create quicker and more efficient incremental backups.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am on Windows 7 x64. Thank you.

EDIT:

As a little update, it seems to be going about 10 MB/s (e.g. after a second or so, the filesize of the pvhd jumps from 858,132,600 KB to 858,142,600 KB).

EDIT 2:

In the end, it took around 60 hours! Crazy.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. andb52

andb52 Registered Member

In case anyone is interested, I discovered how to solve the problem. Instead of writing to one large file, I had it split the image into separate files (the default was to create 4 GB-sized files, and I stuck with that). It ended up taking 6 hours, which is awesome. I am now quite pleased.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

So, it seems to me that you got 40% less time that your expectation, or about 73 MB/sec average in a combined read/write operation. Do you attribute this to the pVHD format?

4. andb52

andb52 Registered Member

Robin,

I'm sorry I haven't checked this thread since my last post. In case you remain curious, yes, I definitely attribute the faster speed to the pVHD (I believe it was also advertised as such, which is why I was so keen on trying it). I highly recommend it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.