long backup time over network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ocsscott, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocsscott

ocsscott Registered Member

I have a ximeta NAS device on my local home network. my image is 54 gig. under TI 8 my backups used to run 1.5 to 2 hrs and verify around 1 hr.

under 9 build 2302 it runs 6 to 7 hrs and takes close to 5 to verify.

any ideas? my lan hasn't changed and I am running at 100 full network speed.

thanks

oh priority is normal and compression normal

2. ocsscott

Just an update I ran with high priority and normal compression.

I started at 6:30am and it finished at 2pm

image size was 61 gig in 7.5 hrs so thats 8.1 gig per hr

under version 8 this was much faster

any idea?

3. arf1410

arf1410 Registered Member

I back-up to a Buffalo NAS. My limited experience is this takes about 4X longer than when I back-up to a local hard disk. Are you stating that 8.0 was 4X fast when backing up over network, or when backing up to a local hard disk?

4. ocsscott

8.0 was much faster maybe 2 - 3 times over the network to the nas. 9.0 has slowed down a ton for network operations the local and security zone backups seem normal

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That's roughly 2.3Mbps, something you might see in actual practice on a 10Mbps network and one tenth what you'd expect on a 100Mbps network.

I wonder if the TI9 support for your network card is bad, and it is running at 10Mbps.
    What network card do you have? Could you try a different make/model.

Could you try a backup to another location on the network, a hard drive on another machine, to confirm that the problem is with the machine you are backing up and not the Ximeta support.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ocsscott,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread.
    We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

7. arf1410

careful on the math and mixing up bits and bytes, JMK94903.

8.1 gigaBYTES per hour = 2.1 MegaBYTES per second and 8 bits = 1 byte

a 100 Mbps network is 100 MegaBITS (Mb) = 12.5 MegaBYTES(MB) per second. a 10 Mbps network is only capable of 1.125 MB per second, therefore, therefore his network card cannot be running at 10 Mbps. I had to brush up on all this last year with some slow network problems that turned out to be from a netgear switch that was 10 Mbps, rather than the more typical 10/100 Mbps

8. ocsscott

Well i was wondering about the network card so I just bought a netgearga311 which is a gigabit network card 10/100/1000 and its no better

before 9.0 on this same machine it was much faster

9. arf1410

What are the read / write specs on your NAS? Typically, they max out at about 5-6 MB per second, which means the max speed would be 2-3 times greater. At this point, a gigabit network card may be no more expensive than a 10/100, but if not, the limiting factor is not the network card, but the read / write of your NAS or hard drive, along with teh CAT 5 cable (unless you've used CAT 6 in your house)- that 1000 Mbps speed is of ZERO value for most people and uses.

10. ocsscott

OK first off the card only cost $20 so not a big deal, but it proves its not the card.

The NAS unit is the same one that was much faster under 8.0 so logically its the 9.0 software.

I am a programmer and desktop analyst for a large company and have done all the investigation into the system and network. The only change is the acronis upgrade.

11. Blackjack60

Blackjack60 Registered Member

This is EXACTLY why I have requested since version 6.0 that there be some sort of throughput indicator in TrueImage. (I was told that I could use a calculator.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.