Login process with Tor Browser

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by bobby566, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby566

bobby566 Registered Member

I'm new here and I want to start by saying hello to everyone!

Basically I'm trying to create a (2nd) login name on a local news website. For obvious reasons, I want to keep my real identity (my ip) hidden.

So I said to myself, easy, I will use Tor Browser (with Firefox) under an new ip address and follow the usual registering process.

Everything works fine except I don't get the Welcome bobby566 at the top right of the screen (like I do here for example). This new identity althought created on their server (confirmed by email) is not showing up.

I tried playing with cookies setting, enabeling/disableling HTTPS everywhere, it doesn't seems to be as easy as I first thought.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
    Bob

2. bobby566

humm no, reply!

Disapointing, to say the least.

Did I provide enough info, perhaps I'm using the wrong program? Or am I just in the wrong forum?

:D

Cheers!

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

OK :)

I need some clarification first.

Am I right that bobby566 is your new account on the news site?

Did you use a different email address for bobby566 when you created the account using Tor Browser?

Can you log into the news site using your new account? If you haven't allowed cookies properly, the news site has no way to remember that you logged in. If you don't allow Wilders to set cookies, it won't remember that either ;)

Also, Tor changes your apparent IP address at about 10 minute intervals, so the news site may be blocking the new account.

4. bobby566

Hi mirimir,

Thanks for your kind reply.

I created a new hotmail address, and used that address to register on the site. In the registration process, you have to provide a name but the email address is what has to be enterred when you want to log in. Not your name.

I can log onto the site, it doesn't give me any error (the type you would get for unknown user). But I can't go any further. I can't post anything, and my name ain't showing at the top. So you are right, I can tell it's not finding something on my side.

I tried login in with IE for the heck of it, everything works!! But then, obviously, my usual IP is used.

I had no clue what you're referring to until I realised Wilders is the name of this site. lol
    Yes I understand, no worry. I did try allowing cookies, I've done a fair amt of testing actualy but I'm stuck.

Obviously I overlooked something, but I'm not sure what or if can even be done.

Regards,

Bob

PS It's nothing illegal. Here's the site in question:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Forgive me if I'm spouting off stuff elementary to you and that you already know, but the cookie issue is definitely something you may want to check. They are little text files that are placed on your system by every website you'll ever go to. It's a bit more complicated than just that, but for the purposes of this issue, just realize their basic function. They serve kind of like an ID. With TOR at default settings, cookies are blocked and no data gets transferred, save for referral or IP data. So, to make it short and sweet, the website likely has no idea you've tried to log in.

6. bobby566

Heya Mman79,

No worries. :)

I know what cookies are and what they do. I'm fairly advanced pc user. Not expert thought. Tor browsers with firefox has several cookie settings, so I tried a few different ones. But then I thought about HTTPS everywhere, tried x-ing some of the scripts; tried a bunch of things really, just to realize that I have no clue what I doing!
    :doubt:

I thought perhaps someone would go like "hey make sure you have this ticked off and the other thingy set this way", because everyone knows this, but me.

Maybe I am wrong and it could get real tricky. I could post snap shots of the settings I've selected, if it's any help.

Anyway, thanks for any advice.

Regards,
    Bob

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.