Logical drive letters

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by streetwolf, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. streetwolf

streetwolf Guest

I'm a Norton Ghost user who is determining if TrueImage is a good replacement for it.

I am attempting to do a partition restore using the bootable CD. I got to the screen asking me if I wanted to assign a drive letter or not. The drive letter displayed was 'J' and the drop down box continued on down the alphabet.

The thing is that this particular partition is 'H' under Windows XP but it is 'J' under the Acronis Bootable CD environment. If I was to give it a drive letter of 'J' or none at all what will the partition look like when I boot into Windows?

I already have a 'J' drive under XP. What will happen to that one? There can't be two partitions with the same drive letter.

I'm asking this because Norton Ghost never asks me for a drive letter.

Thanks.

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

It won't affect your drive letter assignments under Windows. My understanding, based on other members' posts, is that the rescue CD boots into a Linux environment. In any event, I don't believe the rescue CD ever touches your PC operating system at all.

3. kenjan

kenjan Registered Member

right, I just restored my main (C) partition (WinXP) and told true image not to assign a letter. The partition had been wiped out by a previous attempt to restore from DVDR; the Acronis boot cd (linux) assigned c: to my Win2k partition. Booted up into my default system (XP, windows C) no problem.
    :)
    I've pretty much decided to migrate from Ghost 2003 but haven't been able to restore from multiple (spanned image) DVDRs. o_O

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello kenjan,

Did you use TI's Check Image Wizard to verify the image on the DVDs prior to carrying out the restore? If so, what was the result?

Note that you will need to insert the last disk volume first and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent disk insertions (same when doing the actual restore).

Regards

5. kenjan

kenjan Registered Member

"Did you use TI's Check Image Wizard to verify the image on the DVDs prior to carrying out the restore? If so, what was the result?"

Each set of image DVDs checks out OK. I've opened a support request.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kenjan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter to Acronis Support Team.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

7. kenjan

kenjan Registered Member

My ticket is 387228, "Reboot when locking C drive" Acronis said the report I submitted showed Index corrupted on a drive; I'll check it out.

I tried ATI9 on a second computer. That one locks C: as it should, but then wipes out the partition I'm trying to restore (from DVD) and I have to go back to using the hard drive image to get my operating system back (WinXP SP2).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.