Log off/Turn off - Short term fix??

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Peter2150, Nov 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Results of further experimenting.

1. We were right. After you do a clean install, and get
    everything working the way you want, the first time you log out it's fine. There after that you are trapped. Won't log off.

2. The problem is with log off, as you can switch users, which does get you to the welcome screen, where you can shut down. Only problem is you are still logged on where PG was, so the shutdown isn't clean.

3. In task manager there are two processes running Procguard.exe, and PG_MSGprot.exe. Exiting PG shuts down procguard.exe, which leaves one to conclude it is probably the latter that doesn't want to stop when you log out.

4. Since neither exiting PG, or disabling protection, or doing both, allowed logoff, I next tried unchecking the terminate button on PG_MSGprot.exe block menu. Voila. IF you disable protection, and turn off terminate protection on the block menu, then you can log off successfully. :D
    (doesn't seem necessary to exit PG)

5. One interesting aside. Once you successfully log off, and then log on again(enabling protection, and turning back on the termination protection.... another words undoing what you did in 4.) then once you are up and running, it again lets you log off once. After one log off, you again have to repeat step 4. or it won't log off.

6. One other aside, once I again get everything fired up, its starts logging continues messages, that PG-Msgprot.exe[432] tried to gain suspend access on procguard.exe[556]. I can stop this by going to PG-Msgprot.exe's allow menu, and clicking on suspend.
    Not sure the ramifications of this.

Wayne,Gavin, Jason.....

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Peter thats great work. I just wish I knew how to do what you did. Hopefuly the brains at Diamond CS can fix it so all that won't be needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.