'Log off / Turn off' Problem...

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Mike PJ, Nov 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Well.. while it might sound like a failed test to you, this helps us ! Thanks :) We will be better able to locate the problem now as long as we can replicate your situation.

2. Mike PJ

Mike PJ Registered Member

One other thing I noticed after the installation of 1.1 and having rebooted the PC was the protection by default was disabled. Should it be? On enabling it, the first reboot was OK then stuck from that point. HTH :)

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I forgot to mention manual uninstalls. There is manual uninstall in the help file, but this should only be done after a failed normal uninstall, or if you cant connect to the driver in v1.0..

Renaming the sys file from safe mode wasn't the best option, because if you just do that with 1.1 you will leave other things running and doing the uninstall right is important to tell Process Guard you really are wanting to uninstall, not tamper :) Please use that uninstall button not any manual methods from now on.

4. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Hi Gavin,

While I fully agree with your recommendation of using a "regular" uninstall routine, how about putting the manual uninstall routine - rescue - last resort - method on a page in the PG website? For, if you have a failed normal uninstall, chances are you no longer have the helpfile there...
    Just an idea.

Andreas

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Disabling protection, or even exiting doesn't help, already tried them. I think the first shutdown thing might be right. If I remeber right, it does shutdown, the first time after installing. But after that no. It was only the first time after installing however, after that, it wouldn't shut down even after a cold start.

We do need a new build right away, once you figure this out. With this problem, this version, is essentially unusable. Have a busy day today, but will try and go back and confirm this 1st time shutdown issue.

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Thanks for your input guys. It is weird because some people have this problem, and others don't. You would think it would be the same on all XP machines, but I have no problems at all on mine. We will investigate this more thoroughly (we have a machine here which has this problem so it will be easier to debug).

By the way, you may think your "power" button only turns the machine on, but that is probably incorrect. Simply HOLD the "power on" button for 5 seconds to turn off your PC. This is how it is on all modern ATX computers.

-Jason-

7. Mike PJ

Mike PJ Registered Member

Just to let you know that this problem has now been sorted for me, with the release of 1.15.
    Also the strange log entries I was getting before have also disappeared. The only minor problem I have is with an error message - about being unable to open a .dat file when I switch users without logging off first. But that I can live with.

Thanks for your hard work one and all. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.