Locked out of UserAccounts XP-Home

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snapdragin, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Not sure if this goes into the Security Issues Forum or not...??..as i am not exactly sure when this happened, but just noticed this today when i tried to go into the UserAccounts option through the Control Panel. The minute i clicked on UserAccounts an error message popped up along with Notepad (see pic). i clicked on the error msg and it closed but Notepad stayed opened. i have tried everywhichway i can to get into UserAccounts...but i can't.

i have not created another account...i do not "log in" per say either. i just start my computer and i go right to my desktop, so i am using the Admin Account (i know i know, but i like i that way) :D

i was thinking of opening a user account, and thought i'd just look at it again first, but as it looks right now, that isn't possible. :doubt: The only changes i have made this past week was to install 3 of the Critical Updates (KB823182), (KB825119) and (KB828035). i wanted to wait for a day or 4 before i installed the Update Rollup 1 (KB826939), so i have not installed that yet.

Has anyone else seen anything like the error msg in the pic below?? i did a search for anything similar and everything i found referred to the FastUserSwitching as possible cause for locking the UserAccounts...but i have FastUserSwitching set to manual and do not use it, so i don't think that has caused this.

(side note....i also seem to be losing internet connection, even though i am able to access the internet. What i mean is, my IP keeps getting released...connection broken, then renewed. i am still trying to figure out what is happening there so i can't give too much information..and that definitely goes into another forum)

help....? :doubt:

Attached Files:

2. snapdragin

- can't believe i forgot to say this

yes...scanned with TDS-3, NOD32, TH, Ad-Aware, SpybotS&D, everything came up clean. PortExplorer doesn't show anything unusual....and ipconfig shows everything the way it has always looked. Did a hijackthis scan and it is clean too, but i can post it if you think it is necessary.

This is just weird and i want to know what caused it...and, how to fix it (as easily as possible) LOL

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Snap, :)

Have you ever used the tool HTAstop (or followed any of the published methods for disabling HTA on your system)?

If you loaded that program and used it to disable HTA on your system, that effect you saw will be the result. There are a few local functions on XP systems that will not work when you disable mshta.exe on your system. HTAstop replaces mshta.exe with... a copy of Notepad.exe, in addition to disabling a few other HTA links in the system.

If you have used HTAstop, then simply run it again, re-enable HTA and try to access the User Accounts applet again. It should work.

4. snapdragin

*smacks head* now why did that sound familiar?? (i must have read where you told someone else that) LOL YES! It worked!! Now if you can tell me that that will also stop my IP from renewing itself....i'll make you up a huge Halloween bag full of treats! :D

Thank you LWM!!

5. snapdragin

wait...

that was TOO easy!

Does this mean i am vulnerable to the HTA exploit now, if i can't use HTAstop on XP..? :'(

6. LowWaterMark

No, not at all. You can use HTAstop on XP, just disable the protection (reenable HTA) if and when you want to use the User Accounts applet.

I normally leave HTA disabled on my XP system and actually did need to use HTAstop the other day to reenable HTA when I wanted to make some account changes on my system. HTAstop can enable and disable HTA very quickly and easily, so no reason not to leave it disabled until you need it. :)

7. snapdragin

That makes me feel better! Thank you again LWM...i don't know how you remember all these things, but i am very glad you do! :D

8. LowWaterMark

You're very welcome. :)

Oh, and no I don't think this has anything to do with your IP renewel problem. You may need to open a thread with the details on that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.