Locating infected files

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mystp, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mystp

mystp Registered Member

I just did a scan of one of my drives containing about 130000+ files, and NOD32 v3 apparently located and cleaned an infected file.

However, finding out which one is proving somewhat difficult. At the end of the log file, NOD32 reports that a threat was found and cleaned, but it does not show the actual file name.

Will I have to go through the entire list of 130000+ files in order to locate the file, or is there another way of find out what specific file was infected?

Thanks,
    - Asbjoern

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There are at least 2 ways to accomplish that:
    1, disable listing of all files in the on-demand scanner setup and re-run the scan
    2, save the scan log to a file and search for the infected file in a text editor or using grep

3. mystp

mystp Registered Member

Hi Marcos

Thank you for your prompt answer. I'll try those two suggestions - but why not make it really easy for the user to get an overview of what was infected/cleaned?

After all, having an infected file can be pretty serious business, so giving the user a good overview of what's going on should be a top priority in my view. I'd suggest the following:

1) List the file name(s) of infected files at the end of the log file
    2) On the on-demand page: Under "Last scan result:" - make the "x infected file" listing clickable so the user can tell what file or files were infected.

Hope you'll consider this for a future update.

Thanks,
    - Asbjoern

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you do not enable the "List all files" option in the on-demand scanner setup, you won't have this problem. Anyway, the next version will contain some improvements in this regard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.