Locating infected files

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mystp, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mystp

mystp Registered Member

I just did a scan of one of my drives containing about 130000+ files, and NOD32 v3 apparently located and cleaned an infected file.

However, finding out which one is proving somewhat difficult. At the end of the log file, NOD32 reports that a threat was found and cleaned, but it does not show the actual file name.

Will I have to go through the entire list of 130000+ files in order to locate the file, or is there another way of find out what specific file was infected?

Thanks,
    - Asbjoern

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There are at least 2 ways to accomplish that:
    1, disable listing of all files in the on-demand scanner setup and re-run the scan
    2, save the scan log to a file and search for the infected file in a text editor or using grep

3. mystp

mystp Registered Member

Hi Marcos

Thank you for your prompt answer. I'll try those two suggestions - but why not make it really easy for the user to get an overview of what was infected/cleaned?

After all, having an infected file can be pretty serious business, so giving the user a good overview of what's going on should be a top priority in my view. I'd suggest the following:

1) List the file name(s) of infected files at the end of the log file
    2) On the on-demand page: Under "Last scan result:" - make the "x infected file" listing clickable so the user can tell what file or files were infected.

Hope you'll consider this for a future update.

Thanks,
    - Asbjoern

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you do not enable the "List all files" option in the on-demand scanner setup, you won't have this problem. Anyway, the next version will contain some improvements in this regard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.