Local Area Connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by macdon, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'm under XP-Home, so if you've got a different system yours might be set up differently.

Everything in my Device Manager is arranged alphabetically -- this one is classed as a Network Adaptor.

I'm surprised it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in your list -- usually Device Manager conspicuously flags any device which it considers as acting improperly (like that "cable disconnected" thing).

Best,
    Mike

2. macdon

macdon Registered Member

:D When I turned the computer on this morning, the LAN icon was not down by the clock, so hopefully it will stay wherever it is. I don't want it back!!! Thanks Y'all.

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey MikeBCda

“A Network Cable is Unplugged” message represents there’s presently no cable hook-up, or cable hook-up is wrong, when you are hooking up from NIC-A to NIC-B you need crossover-Ethernet cable. People goes to the store and ask for Ethernet cable to hook-up two computers together, sometimes dorks are there who gives you straight-through Ethernet cable assuming you have a router/switchbox. If this happens you can go back to the store and get it repaired for FREE, or buy good router with LAN ports that are Auto-MDI/MDIX.

Hey macdon

When have you ever known disabling a device to re-enabling without doing a system restore or without manually re-enable the device? You are set, don’t worry a thing… ;)

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, PhantOm. :) Essentially you're saying the Device Manager's correct in pointing out that the card is not properly configured for its intended purpose, even though I don't currently have a use for it (I'm on 56 dialup).

Its description in Network Connections is "LAN or high-speed internet", or something similar, so I presume it's part of what I'll need when I eventually move up to DSL. And of course there's probably no need to do anything about it until then.

I disabled it only to get rid of that warning, which (as in macdon's case) was more irritating than useful.

Best,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.